Blooms 2010!

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 10a)

Just wanted to start a thread for the few that are getting blooms. I swear, I'm not trying to be a braggart. When you all are getting beautiful blooms in August, and mine have stalled from heat, I will ooh and ahh with envy at your photos then.

An underwhelming Crazy Legs. It's been open 3-4 days.

Thumbnail by queequeg_1

Different Mingus Toni than previously posted. A lot more fuschia than the first.

Thumbnail by queequeg_1

Vista Lindsey. I was worried it will shrivel up before it opens fully.

Thumbnail by queequeg_1
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Hurray: blooms already!

Love Vista Lindsay- one of my favorite yellows. Crazy Legs looks a bit crazy. Is that the first bloom of it? It will be interesting to see what future blooms of it look like. Mingus Toni I'm going to look forward to seeing in September or so. Oooh and ahh.

Got any more showing color on the buds yet or are these the early-out-of-the-gate gang? Thanks for posting- it will spur me to more shoveling and prep work tonight.

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

Wow, that is great motivation to keep shoveling - great blooms! With all the Florida folks now we have several dahlia shifts. :)

Thank you. Yes, that is the first of Crazy Legs, so hopefully, the rest will shape up. I'm unsure why the lower left petals are so short. I disbudded, so there was no bloom crowding. Meh.

Maybe you'll get Mingus Toni before September. It was about 60 days for me.
Fire Magic will be next to appear. Then, maybe AC Garfield (sooo excited for that).

Funny, I think only one of my overacheivers has bloomed (MT), the others are now lagging. Surprisingly Dapper Dad isn't too far behind. I thought the A's took a lot longer to bloom.

Vista Lindsay is one of those I worry about. I planted it the beginning of March, in full sun, forgetting all about it's LC-ness. It won't be in the shaded area, so I may build it a little hat, we'll see.

Anyone else, please post your bloomers (doh)-I don't want to be the only one.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Why oh why didn't I order AC Garfield???? I ordered from Accent this year too! I will be really eager to see that one. I'm eager to see any and all.

Vista Lindsay is fairly frilly and may fry in your outrageous sun. Maybe an umbrella on her stake? Dahlias can be a real pain in the neck, but she's pretty enough to try to salvage somehow, IMO.

Boise, ID

So AC is Accent Dahlias? I was never sure about that. This thread isn't fair because I'm nowhere near having any blooms.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Mine are still being hardened off and I won't be planting until tomorrow evening at the earliest. Don't feel so bad.

Yes, AC = Accent.

Boise, ID

Very cool, looking forward to my AC Rosebud then (I was looking forward to it anyways).
http://dahliasuppliers.com/accent/gallery/images/AC%20ROSEBUD_1_jpg.jpg

Someone here really sold me (more like, bestill my heart) on AC Garfield. I think it was...pirl? Her pics of it were way better than the Accent page-the contrast of the beautiful orange and the darker leaves-wowee!

I really debated about AC Rosebud. The colors and form are just too prettiful. The only thing that held me back was it's size. If it had been a B, I would've taken the plunge. That's a newer one, isn't it?

I'm innocent! I've had AC Rosebud but not Garfield.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I don't know why people don't care for the smaller dahlias so much, especially the poms. (Of course, I feel that way about the mignon singles LOL.) To me, the small ones are every bit as miraculous as the big whoppers or medium sized beauties.

I like AC Rosebud- would look fabulous with other fiery colors.

I'm a fan of the little ones and enjoy their abundance of blooms. Their tiny size also seems to make the huge ones look even larger.

I liked AC Rosebud but it wasn't exactly a flower machine for me.

Ahh...it was hart that got me on Garfield.
I like the smalls-I just have a lot of BBs, so was trying to get a few A's (no AAs) and B's. I didn't plan well enough to give them a spot all together. I envision next year having a spot with a bunch of balls and poms and minis-a rainbow of poofy colors. It fits into the cottage garden image I have.

AC Rosebud

Thumbnail by pirl

Wow-pirl. Even prettier than Accent's photo. Has more dark color than the yellow. Maaaaan, now I wish I'd ordered it.

This message was edited May 27, 2010 6:36 PM

Better Vista Lindsey. Petals are already falling off, so this may be as open and fluffy as it gets.

Thumbnail by queequeg_1
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Oh, coooool, dahlias already!!!! You lucky duck, you. Thanks for giving us a taste of summer queequeg.

(It has actually been lightly s*n*o*w*i*n*g here for the last couple of days. Sigh....)

Welcome-sorry you have snow :(

Fire Magic
Pictures aren't capturing the true colors...

Thumbnail by queequeg_1

Esmerelda
Again-doesn't capture it's true burgundy (like Cabernet wine) color.

Thumbnail by queequeg_1

Love them both!

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

I'm so jealous with Carrie's blooms.

Can a teeny weeny figaro bloom qualify as my dahlia bloom of the day?

Thumbnail by Tex68

ABSOLUTELY! I actually started this because I thought you and Roly (and another user-can't remember name, from AZ) from Miami both had blooms now, so we could all post-not just me hogging it lol.
That is so pretty and fluffy-it looks like icing. Wonder if you can buy Figaro seeds...I've only been able to find (locally) Unwin seeds.

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

He-he! Yeah it looks like one of those sugar flowers they use to decorate cakes. I don't have patience in growing anything from seeds. LOL!. Ok, I lied. I do grow sunflowers from seeds.
I got like 4 border dahlias too and a couple got buds already. So I hope it won't be long till I get some blooms just a tad bigger than the figaros.

Glenbank Twinkle

Thumbnail by queequeg_1

Very pretty.

Papa's Benji

Thumbnail by queequeg_1

Ferncliff Pride

Thumbnail by queequeg_1
Belmont, WI(Zone 4b)

You have some winners there :)) Please keep the picts comming.

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Trying Dahlias for the second time this spring, from tubers and from seed here in Ft Lauderdale. Failed miserably in 2007 because I had them in too much sun, started them too late and didn't know I should pinch them when they're growing. The taller ones are still growing and hoping they'll bloom. At least they look better this year.

Here's my first blooms on seed grown Dahlias. It's just labeled "Double Extreme Mix" from Thompson & Morgan.

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Beautiful. Love that color.

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Thanks. You never know what you're going to get with mixed seeds. Just grew two plants from the seed pack to see how they would do. The other one is opening and appears to be solid white. It's in the background in the photo.

Those are so pretty. Stunning for seeds (my seedlings were boring). Very lacey!

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Here are two other ones blooming for me. The first one is Gallery Monet.

Thumbnail by Roly0217
Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Another view of it

Thumbnail by Roly0217
Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

And this lovely one is Extase.

Thumbnail by Roly0217
Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Here is a close up of Extase

Thumbnail by Roly0217

Love that Extace-almost ordered it several times.
Here's a much better Papas Benji. I think I capture blooms' color best when they're on my porch lol.Bright light, but not full sunlight. I've tried early morning and late evening and those are too dark.
Wasn't sure how much I'd like this one, but I LERVE it! Would recommend-very orange with red, pink, violet undertones.

Thumbnail by queequeg_1

Bahama Mama-thanks for the recommendation pirl, it IS a beaut!

Thumbnail by queequeg_1

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.