Plant recommendation

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

I need 2 climbing vines to go behind a white snowball viburnum. I'd like one to be white and one red. Then I need another white one to go on the other side of the arbor. I don't think I want roses here. I would like something that either is smothered in blooms once or something that blooms all summer long. I'm in zone 7 and with the wierd weather these days, even that seems marginal. What do you think? They will be growing up a lattice type of trellis frame. This area is in mostly sun but not real beating down hot sun. It's right in front of my greenhouse.

This message was edited May 24, 2010 11:20 PM

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Sounds like a good candidate for morning glories, particularly Ipomoea quamoclit aka Cypress Vine - They come in Red, White and Pink. They grow pretty fast and are loaded with blooms til first frost .. very attractive to butterflies, bees and hummingbirds

or

Ipomoea nil, The true Scarlett O'Hara, red with a white throat and Pearly Gates, pure white.

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

I wonder if I planted seeds in the ground now, would they grow enough to flower this year?

I have not had good luck with MGs! I used to live in a rental where they were already established and were everywhere. I know many consider them invasive. I've planted them many times, every time with no success.

A couple years ago a friend stopped by and asked what I was planting. I told her morning glory. She looked at me like I was nuts. You'd think I was planting poison oak! LOL I told her, just you wait, these won't grow. And I was right!

Okay, I'm willing to take another chance as I'm very low on money. I can afford seeds, but not plants right now. Do you think I'm too late for this year? If not, what can I do to increase my chances that these things will actually grow?

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

In your zone it's probably not late for what you want to accomplish though it will probably be late July til you get a really good show .. start the mg seeds in pots and you'll get better results transplanting when the plants are at least 4 inches tall. Also you might want to check in your region forum on Dave's and pose your question there asking if anyone has cuttings or plants they might want to trade that would fit your requirements.

For a good solid mass you probably want a minimum of 3 plants of each color.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.