Question, is this a fern?

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Kawonkamish (Greetings),

I posted this over in the Plant ID Forum, but thought I could maybe ask here as well... I am trying to identify a plant that has been growing in my garden for a few years. I have tried finding it in catalogs, books and online, to no avail. Would anyone be able to help me solve this mystery? I do not have a digital camera or a way to hook up a scanner to my computer, so I can only describe it.

I am not sure if it is a fern or not. It seems to behave as a fern. It prefers partial to full shade and moist, hummus-enriched, well-drained soil. Basically fern habitat. It is approximately 8-inches high with leaves, that are 12-inches long and 5-6-inches wide. The leaves are oak-leaf shaped, though more deeply incised and are chartreuse to light green in color on thin reddish-brown stalks. I have never seen it bloom and it has never had a seed pod or head. I have never bothered to check the underside of the leaf, to see if it was like a fern, in that it reproduced using spores. I will do that and update my post later.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Taubotny (Thank you).

Aquene (Peace),
WautuckquesSochepo (SnowRabbit)
(__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Kawonkamish (Greetings),

Some one over in Plant ID answered my question. It is Onoclea sensibilis- Sensitive Fern, Bead Fern

Aquene (Peace),
WautuckquesSochepo (SnowRabbit)
(__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.