Open market in Detroit

Presque Isle, MI(Zone 5a)

When is the big open market in Detroit.

Thanks

Gary

Kalamazoo, MI

Are you asking about Flower Day at Eastern Market? It's sort of the kickoff--they sell plants all summer long. While you're there, check out some of the other stores nearby, especially Hirt's.

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

flower day has come and gone I'm thinking...

Clinton Township, MI(Zone 5b)

Here is a link for Detroit's Eastern Market, www.detroiteasternmarket.com. The HUGE flower day has passed (May 16 this year) but the market is open year-round, with the most active summer days on Saturdays.

Noticed you are from Presque Isle. If you are not familiar with Detroit and the Eastern Market, the area can be a little rough, but I have never had a problem around the Market (and I am a small, 5'3" woman). I am not trying to be controversial, but someone not used to large urban areas might feel a little uneasy, and it would be a shame to let a little discomfort waylay a wonderful experience. There are some really interesting purveyors at the Eastern Market, everything from meat to produce to candles/honey/etc, to plants and flowers. I used to work at the Ren Cen and we would go to the market for lunch often. If you are looking for a really cool restaurant supply business, People's is worth looking around and adjacent to the Market off Gratiot and sells to the public.

If you are looking for a traditional Farmer's Market in SE Michigan, I highly recommend the one in Oakland County, http://www.oakgov.com/cmarket/, on Saturday mornings during the growing season (a little too early right now). It is located in Waterford on Pontiac Lake Road.

Let us know what you are looking for and those of us in SE MI can recommend some awesome places!

This message was edited May 26, 2010 10:25 PM

Huntington Woods, MI

Hi-My husband and I go to the Eastern market nearly every Saturday all year long. Never any problems.

Plant day 2010 is past and I would recommend NEVER attending it. Crowds are huge and prices go up. Just visit any other Saturday-there are tons of pants everyweek (good prices, too). Some thing special you're looking for (espicially shrubs) just talk with a supplier (I recommend Steinkopf). They can usually get it for you.

If visiting the market, bring a wagen, (also a sweater-always 10 degrees colder there) and definitly visit Hirts, Rocky Peanut and, for food, Vivios is good.

If you go, park wherever you can-it's very informal there, and have fun.-pam

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.