Kauai avocado, HUGE!!

Phoenix, AZ

Im here in Kauai for the week and been hitting the farmers markets and found an avocado the is the size of a cantalope. Anyone know what variety this is? I would like to try growing the seed back in Phx since it looks like a unusal type. Thx Don

Virginia Beach, VA

Wow!! Enjoy your stay. I do not know the variety but since you are visiting the farmers market try the bread fruit. I just like cooking it on the stove with plain water. Kind of bland but love it. Bellie

Phoenix, AZ

Thank you

Keaau, HI

Can you show a photo of the fruit, or describe it?

Virginia Beach, VA

I looks like jack fruit with out the thorns and usually round. they grow in all the islands. the inside is pale yellow. Is it called something else? Belle

Keaau, HI

Thanks Belle! I'm very familiar with Breadfruit / 'Ulu.

Need to see the Avo to maybe figure a variety.

Thumbnail by Metrosideros
Kapaa, HI

I live on Kauai.

Yes, There are 100s of varieties of avocado....big, small.... everything. ...Most here on Kauai have no name but come from certain stock. ...If I remember rightly avocados come from three types of stock.....Caribbean, Mexican and Guatemalan.

I have 6 trees each of a different kind. I have both summer and winter types.....fall, spring, you name it, I have it....big, small, fat, skinny...lol...watery, buttery....

The biggest avo I have seen is about the size of a football.

One of my trees popped up as a weed....lol. I cut it off over and over. Did a go away dance around the tree until I gave up. I can tell by the shape of the fruit it (the weed) comes from Guatemalan stock You can get a rough estimate of the type of avo with a bit of research. In order to get a descent crop you do need to have both A and B type trees. There is a lot of stuff on the internet

I just picked my last winter pear the other day. Now I see my summer pears coming up and preparing to vomit on me....

What I have noticed is the trees that come from seed do better then the air layered ones.. However, they, the seeded ones are not always true to the mother tree.

Here on Kauai we eat avocados as both a fruit and a vegetable. Filipino style avo eating is with sugar. I make a mean avocado pie....ferocious...bad,,,so bad it is good.

No offense to you mainland folks but those inky-dinky-itty-bitty avocados you have on the mainland we would throw away as rubbish.

Keaau, HI

Perfect Guacamole!

1 large Avocado, mashed
1 large onion, diced
several tomatoes, diced
several hot peppers, minced
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Mix the onion, tomatoes, peppers, and spices together. Let sit for 1/2 hour, then mix in the Avocado.

Kapaa, HI

Avocado pie

If you want to impress your friends...with your magic expertise in the kitchen...this is the recipe for you...and it is brain dead easy.

2 pie crusts...browned....(the reason I do 2 pie crusts is because 1 can of sweetened condensed milk is perfect for 2 pies.)

Throw enough avocado into the blender to fill 2 pies
Pour 1 can sweetened condensed milk into the blender with the avo
Pitch in at least 1/2 cup lime juice...or more to taste
Toss in lime zest of at least 2 limes......its all a matter of taste..I use much more

.............BLEND...............

Pour mixture into the browned pie crusts....do not over fill....I fill it to just below the fluted Pie crust rim..otherwise the avo overcomes the other ingredients. .
Cover the top of pies with sweetened whipped cream
Optional....sprinkle unsweetened chocolate powder on top

put in fridge until cold...at least 2 hours...over night is even better

This is not supposed to be an overly sweet pie....the sweetened whipped cream is important because it picks up and balances the sweetness

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.