An invite to enjoy the fruits of EWA with us....

(Julie)South Prairie, WA(Zone 7a)

It has become a tradition for Mom and I to spend a wonderful harvest weekend at our house in Othello towards the end of August. We were talking about it yesterday morning, and thought that it would be great fun to invite our DG friends to share it with us if they were interested. We will set a more definite date later in the summer, as we want to make sure that we are there when the peaches are ripe.

We have a lovely three bedroom house with several comfy sofas, and we would welcome people to stay the night on Saturday night. If the season goes well, we should have tomatoes to share, as well as purple grapes from our yard. There is a u-pick peach orchard (the peaches that we served at roundup last year) a few miles from our home, and I believe last year the price was 40cents a pound. We found a lady that sells sweet corn our of her garden close to that orchard. There is a melon farm that sells watermelon and cantaloupe fresh from the fields, and Tonnemakers organic farm ( http://tonnemaker.com/ ) has all sorts of wonderful goodies including a huge variety of peppers and probably some early apples.

If anyone might be interested, let us know. It is always such a fun weekend (nothing like over-indulging on fruits and vegies!) and we would love to share it.

We didn't get pics of last year's haul as it was a whirlwind trip right before roundup, but this was our "haul" from the year before...

Thumbnail by Rarejem
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

AWWW!!! thanks for the sweet invite. Methinks I'll be harvesting some things myself, after being gone for a week mid-August. Sounds like it would be a great time!

This was the picture I was initially looking for, but for some reason couldn't find it on either of my home computers. The watermelons had to ride in the back seat as not to squish the tomatoes!

Thumbnail by Rarejem
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

yum!

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

*drools all over keyboard*

Sounds like fun to me. Who knows whether I'll actually be able to go, but I'm definitely interested. :)

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Thank you for the invitation. If it works out, I'd love to pop over and see your place.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Also definitely interested. Doing this little (max 30 lunches any given day) catering gig gives me the leeway to shop for many more luscious ingredients than just for my own small self.

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Yes, definitely interested!

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Bumping up this thread as it is about time to start planning.

We have decided to take a chance on the weekend of August 21 and 22nd. In spite of the fact that some things are late this year, the fruit in EWA seems to be on schedule. We would rather the peaches were just starting to get ripe rather than being too ripe to transport. Hopefully it will be just at the right time.

RSVP's will be appreciated if you have any thoughts about joining us. It should be lots of fun.

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Hoping to make it. Depends on the college schedules, since we have one returning to college and one going off for the first time.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I'm already seeing peaches from Maryhill (on the gorge, about where hwy 97 crosses the river) at the farmer's markets. I didn't realize they were so much earlier than your area. (And how the heck did it get to be almost August already????)

It's unlikely that I will be joining you, I think that's the weekend we're talking about getting away for a few days. Still, yummmmm!

Susybell, there are lots of varieties of peachs that have different maturity dates. The variety at the U-pick are Elbertas I believe, and they are later than some.
We got some last week over there also, Monarch was that variety.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

that must be it. :) the weather along there is kind of tough too. Could be that an earlier variety is more reliable in their climate.

(Linda)Gig Harbor, WA(Zone 8a)

Gees!!! We got a birthday party and a family reunion that weekend..eat a peach for me!!

We have family stuff that weekend too, so we won't be able to come. I hope someone will eat a peach for me too... yum...

(Judi)Portland, OR

I won't be able to make it, either. Son is coming to Portland from Ca for business, and to visit his mama!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Turns out that's a family get-together weekend for us, too. So much for our own getaway....Still, Hope you have a great time!

Gads, we are going to have to have a peach pigout! Too bad most are busy... it is a busy time of year after all, but the harvest waits for no one.... We will most likely keep this standing invitation open in years to come, because that time in the farm country is just too good not to share. We go home with a bellyache and a big smile every year.

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

I have an excellent (and really easy) peach cobbler recipe.

*whimper* Now I have a massive peach cobbler craving. Thanks a lot, Gwen! ;p

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Maybe I'll bring my new ice cream machine along and we'll make homemade ice cream to go with the peach cobbler.

(Sorry, Pony, couldn't resist that one.)

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

yum, peach pie and peach cobbler are my favorite!

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

"James and the Giant Peach" - fond memories

*cries* Gwen is a meanie! LOL

Thanks for reminding me to bring my peach cobbler recipe along that weekend, folks.

(Judi)Portland, OR

Aw come on - some of us that can't be there are drooling.......

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

The rest of you missed out! I have no photos (camera is still broken and not fixed/replaced) but Sharon and Julie's place over in EWA is wonderful. Views of the water, flowers galore (as you would expect), and the best BLTs I've had ever!

Julie, I think that yellow plant is Kerria. Does that ring a bell?

I wasn't able to stay long as I was on the long drive home and had to stop in Lynnwood to look at freezers (ours is broken but we have now decided to repair it rather than replace since Frigidaire has been kind enough to pay for the parts since it is only 5 months past the warranty and it essentially is completely broken down) and then catch a ferry home.

As usual, Sharon and Julie's hospitality is just the best and I thoroughly enjoyed my brief time there.

Gwen, we know the flower is not a Kerria, but rather a perennial in the sunflower family. Here is a pic so others know what you are referring to.

Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl

And here is what else they missed out on. We picked 60 ounds of peaches that day and I am frowning because I am looking into the sun and not because I am at all unhappy!

And Julie wasn't frowning either.

Beautiful peaches!

And I have to brag a little about our tomatoes over there.

They are, however, later than usual too.

Mmmmmmm... those peaches look delicious. :D

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

I had some - they were delicious! I bought some at a stand on the way home and am going to make jam with them tomorrow.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Sharon and Julie you bless me with the relationship between each other. I wish my family had such warmth. Also you live a pleasing active life involving each day with choices of fun. Well Done!

(Linda)Gig Harbor, WA(Zone 8a)

Well said Sofer! Sounds like we missed out on a great time!

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Sofer, I agree with you completely!!!

I absolutely love to spend time with them. My family should be listed as the definition of dysfunctional.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Yum. Peaches this year seem to be just delicious. How wonderful that you have your own harvest. I can't get enough of them.

The yellow flower looks almost like a giant coreopsis.

(Judi)Portland, OR

Mmmm ripe peaches! Sounds like you all had a greta time.

Sharon and Julie seem to have the ideal relationship - don't you guys ever fight? Lynn, you are not the only one with a dysfunctional family! My immediate family is fine but I've got some strange relatives.......

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.