What might her name be???

Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 9a)

I bought this canna from a lady at an outdoor flea market several years ago....I just liked the different color of the leaves......now I'm wondering what kind it may be.....can anyone help?

They actually look a little darker than the pic....guess the sun was messing with the pic....

This message was edited May 23, 2010 1:42 PM

Thumbnail by dbibb
Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Although I cannot say sure until I would see flowers, it looks to be one of the purpurea types .. indica purpurea, Russian Red, Red Stripe, etc.
If purpurea, the flower should be smaller and orange/red in colour.
This canna should grow to about 12'.
Your's looks very healthy. No virus symptoms seen.

Thank you.....I will post again once it flowers....maybe it could be narrowed down some then...

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

I would say red stripe i have them and it looks the same heres a pic of mine flowering
jen

Thumbnail by smurf428
Jacksonville, NC(Zone 8b)

They look like my "Pink Sunburst", but i'm not sure.

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

pink sunburst is small with a distinct variegated leaf pattern, nothing like this canna shown here ...also the sunburst grows no more usually than 3 feet high at most the colors are very different ...these are the very large red stripe.....they can have leaves up to 3 feet in length...i had one that grew over 22 feet high.... they fair great in pots...when they get root bound they will flower faster.

they are the basis for my gardens because of their incredible color and stature. love them!

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

Yes i agree red stripes are by far the most planted in my garden.. I do favor the banana canna over the red stripe for the leaves, but the red stripe is more striking in a garden cause of the burgundy color, where most of my plants are green i like to through in some burgundy..

tobee I never had mine get that tall, I would love to see that.. Mine get about 9 feet but i'm in canada i cant complain.. It flowers every year and i would say every flower goes to seed.. I get 3-6 seeds for every flower.. Not that i even need them these cannas spread like wild fire..
jen

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

jen...i didn't transfer some of those pictures into this computer as yet...but here's a picture when i designed the nj flower and garden expo...i designed the show and the gardens...the back role are the red stripes...they are standing only about 12-15 there because they were not in pots....many of the canna you see in this pics come from alice :)

Thumbnail by tobee43
cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

very nice layout

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

that was just a small part of the grounds...and only half of the opening gardens into the greenhouse. it turned out well...i think i hope...i know..;)

Quote from tobee43 :
jen...i didn't transfer some of those pictures into this computer as yet...but here's a picture when i designed the nj flower and garden expo...i designed the show and the gardens...the back role are the red stripes...they are standing only about 12-15 there because they were not in pots....many of the canna you see in this pics come from alice :)

WOW!! That is fabulous!!

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

thanks so much dbibb...it took a year to accomplish the completion of all the designs and formats for the expo. but for that area i am happy to say it influence and helped bring horticulture to another level...which was my ONLY goal..:)

Well....a very nice goal and a gorgeous area.....Congratulations!!!

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Very nice, Sue. You do good work :)))

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

alice...always with a help of all my horticulture friends!!! (like you!)...which help that make one of the best nj garden expos ever!

i do belive those many of those were yours....you cannot see all the pink sunburst in there....there must have been at least 40 of them!

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Sue :)
I also worked in design a number of years when my Children were small.
I believe that is how I got into always trying for the best plants. I always needed good stuff at my fingertips to use ..lol
And as my Children always got stuck helping, they learned a lot and grow up with the love of gardening .. which they now "blame" me for doing .. :)
Your garden must have been spectacular to see with all those 'Pink Sunbursts'.
That canna has been a favourite of mine since first I saw it.

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

have been up in north carolina the past few days!! alice they have canna on the freeways there!! LOL!!!!...hundreds planted all in one place. if were weren't going 80 miles an hour i would have snapped a pic or two!! what a site.....kinda like alice's house....LOL!!

Speaking of my" Pink Sunburst", I thought they should be up by now. I had several last year around my birdbath. This year, only one has peeped through. What do you think could have happended? Its just like the others were never there.
Lynda

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

it could have been a cold spell???

i would attempt if the one is coming up is in good condition, to divide it and start another in a pot so you can replenish the grouping.

i think that happens with many plants after a while..:) but that may help kick start more for you.

Thanks Tobee43 for your answer.

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

no problem hope it helps a bit!

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi Sue,
Someone sent me photos of canna Rosamond Cole along the interstate in NC. Very neat to see so many like that :) Do you know the variety of the ones you saw?

Hi Lynda,
As far as Pink Sunburst, this winter seemed to have colder temps all over.
They could have gotten too cold.
I would gently dig to see their status.

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

good morning alice,

no...i couldn't tell from afar...but it was outrageous to view an entire "field" of them....i love that the NC highway dept. takes such pride...wish other states would follow suit!! and they very well could have been the rosamond cole...as they were red flowered.....green leafed, growth habit was medium to being on the shorter side...but just lovely!

This message was edited Jun 10, 2010 9:01 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.