Clematis 'Ramona' - Care/Pruning Advice Needed

Dallastown, PA(Zone 6a)

OK, DG Peeps: I need your advice. I recently purchased a Ramona Clematis and dropped it in the ground yesterday. Other than watering regularly and nipping at dead leaves, I need advice on how to truly care for this plant. The card that came with it stated it was a Pruning Type 2. I tried reading some online guides, but I just couldn't seem to find anything that was speaking English to me. I really just need to know how to care for it so that not only does it look fresh throughout the year, but will continue to come back year-after-year still looking fresh. Also, I was wondering if I could expect my Clematis to bloom this year? I would love to hear anyone's thoughts on the subject.

DG Love,
Tina :-)

Thumbnail by LiveLaughLovePA
Athens, PA

Tina - you may or may not get flowers this year on your Ramona. Typically when a clematis is planted, the plant focuses on establishing it's roots in it's new home. Type 2 pruning group gets pruned back by about 1/3 after the first flowering. This will encourage another flush of flowering later in the season.

When I have planted my type 2's, I prune them hard - down to the first or second node for the first two years. I think this helps the plant to create a larger root system and to send up more vines from the base. After that, I follow the cutting back by 1/3 after the first flowering.

I hope this helps.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Lovely, Carolyn. Cutting it back really added to the fullness of it.

Athens, PA

Arlene

Thank you. That is my Miss Bateman. She is always the first to flower. I'll cut her back shortly - right next to her I have Violet Charm and Proteus that are just starting... When all 3 are finished, they will be cut back.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I do try and do the same here, Carolyn. There are times I miss or forget one or two of them.

Here's our 'Ramona'.

Thumbnail by pirl
Dallastown, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Carolyn! OK, so what your saying is after the first blooms die off, I should cut off 1/3 of the plant... Sort of like holding out 18 inches of hair and lopping off 6 inches LOL? Then it's ok for the rest of the season? And then I would do this again the following year? I'm assuming when you say "node", you mean down to the first or second ladder rung? I know I must sound like we're playing 20 questions, but I don't want to start chopping away if not needed :-)

Athens, PA

Tina

The first couple of years, yes I cut them back to the first or second node (rung on the ladder) and the after that I cut her back by 1/3 after she flowers.

Carolyn

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

if they are cut back right they flower, does that they will miss blooming again for the season?

Athens, PA

Teri -

No, they should flower again in the fall after they are cut back. Then the following spring they will flower yet again and the cycle continues.

Mesquite, TX

Wow! Thanks for that post. I just bought Ramona (my first) yesterday and came to this forum with the exact same questions.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.