Cultivar suggestions Zone 6b eastern Kentucky.

Russell, KY(Zone 6b)

I need cultivar suggestions for JM's that can take the most shade.
My area is tucked back about 15 feet in from the edge of some fairly dense white oak, red oak, hickory woods- typical eastern Kentucky hills. It will get some east to south morning sun, but not for more that two hours tops, and occasional spatterings throughout the day.

I have an Oridono nishiki in the same area that is doing very well, so I am hoping for something that will contrast nicely with that. Hoping for a green palmatum but variegated is acceptable as I know they are better in lower light. I just hate to duplicate what I already have. Prefer weeping to upright, smaller and shrubby is good. I think I could be interested in a fan shaped leaf as well.
Eventual size not over 10 feet, but I am a great pruner/staker and already have a high maintenance yard. Winter got to -20ºF once last year though that is not common and I can protect if need be. Summers hot and humid but my woods stay fairly well ventilated. Hoping for something that will pop in the lower light portions of the day and make a stunning architectural impact as this will be a focal point in a pet cemetery. Autumn coloration is not so much an issue.

If you need more info just ask.
And thanks!

Russell, KY(Zone 6b)

I bought a three year Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum'.
Wish me luck- from everything I have read I have just the perfect spot and soil conditions.
I had been wanting one forever but let the finicky nature of the tree deter me.
No more- no guts no glory!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

good luck!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Hope that it works out for you Cear. It's a beautiful tree if it's happy.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Aureum are dicey as everyone here knows .. the adage with them is the bigger the better .. a three year old Aureum is pretty small although it sounds like it should not be .. you will likely know within few weeks if it makes it or at least by mid summer .. I'd give it a 50/50 chance since I've have had a pleasant day .. if the day was a bad one for me I'd give it 15-20% .. If one buys a 5-10 gallon Aureum the cost goers way up but the success rate with it .. for those who like their trees with a bit more certainty Autumn Moon is pretty easy to grow and also even more so the new Moonrise .. both are still dicey with a small tree but much less do . Autumn moon 50-75% safer and Moonrise really size is not too important about 95% safer....It all comes down to that lime green glowing color .. yah if it doesn't turn brown and black within a short time you have something special .. the other two trees are similar but with more yellow and a hint of rust ( Autumn Moon )and more red flushes with Moonrise which can take allot of sun in northern areas... The Aureum even in full shade if small is just too likely to get root problems from moisture whereas with a larger one that seems to be less of a problem. And in shade you will not get the spectacular color . Wetness is the biggest killer of JMs period some are more prone to die from wetness like Shaina and Aureum

..If you look around even in Oregon you don't see allot of Aureums growing... more there of course .. I have seen one large one in Illinois period .. now I don't have a spy cam into folks back yards or have been on every street but where ever I travel I see red and green uprights and dissectumsI AM A DIE HARD JM"STER I NOTICE THEM EVERWHERE.. ( bird person notices strange birds) these trees stand out to me I spot them easily I see them all over... but I have seen maybe just a handful of Aureums outsdide of nureseries HUMMMM why is that DUHHHHH!!!! Davidsan

This message was edited May 29, 2010 4:36 PM

Russell, KY(Zone 6b)

Well, after that rather optimistic post I don't know what to say :)

The only comment/question I have is if they are so averse to water how does one go establishing them? I have always watered daily the first two weeks of almost any newly planted anything- tree, shrub, succulents- anything.
I did water this one a bit upon planting and we have seen the odd rainfall ever since except one day I did give it maybe a quart of water very slowly. It is on a slight grade in a very dry area with lots of huge oaks and hickories to suck up all the water, and frankly my worry was that it is too dry and I'd have to be toting water down there every day.
There are two Shaina's that have been thriving for years in the same area (as well as a super-thriving Oridono nishiki), if that means anything. Of course the Shaina's are more near the edge of the larger trees and see more sun, but the soil conditions are quite similar.

Time will tell.
Red arrow indicates where it was put.

Thumbnail by Cearbhaill
Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Water only when it dries ( LET IT DRY BETWEEN WATERING ) if you keep it constantly wet you will have problems .In reality no tree need that much water unless it's 110 and sunny even to start with, but most can tolerate it .. JMs generally dont. Shaina seem to do ok when planted out but in pots they are really susceptible to root rot and fungal problems.. You can grow Oridono N. on the moon. and it would thrive.... Oridono has it's special problems like becoming totally unruly if it has too much fertilizer or you soil is too rich in nitrogen I just took mine out this year it was a mess others have had to do the same .. every place is different you may do alright I base my statements not on my little area but on the many many posts I have read on these plants .as well as my experience that confirmed those posts.. I learned long ago basing solely on my own experiences was not smart ... I have NEVER been able to keep a shaina healthy in a pot and others I know have stated the same I do have one planted out that although not growing much seems to be ok. There are exceptions to every rule ... but one should always beware of touchy Jmsd... with hundreds of beautiful ones in cultivation that are relatively easy to grow in many enviorments why screw with one that is not easy to grow .. I hope you are the exception. Davidsan

Russell, KY(Zone 6b)

Well, my new Aureum survived the summer, fall, and winter and is now showing lovely new spring foliage.
I hope this bodes well.
Will get a photo soon.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

good news!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.