Purple smokebush

Rosemount, MN(Zone 4b)

I have a purple smokebush but I need move it. I made a 'design' blunder and now I need to move it. It was planted at the end of the season two years ago - so it has been in it's current spot 1 1/2 years and it is really happy. It is about 3 feet tall. Will these tolerate a move if I prepare the new place with lots of compost ?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

The most important thing will be getting as much of the rootball as possible--the more roots come along with it, the less stressful it'll be for it.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I agree with ecrane3. Don't let the soil dry out on the move or the roots. Either do the transplant later in the evening or early in the morning. Once transplanted, build a moat to ensure you can fill it with water in the root zone so the transplant is successful.

Norridgewock, ME(Zone 5a)

If you can provide shade initially, until it gets established, that also helps. I'm going to try to make temporary shade for a new tree I put in by putting burlap over a trellis that I'll stick in on the sunny side. After a week or so, you can remove it.

(Zone 7a)

What I would do BEFORE moving it is get the hole ready in it's new spot. That way there is less time out of the ground involved. Then, ditto to what the others have said.

Rosemount, MN(Zone 4b)

Thank you for the responses. It is extraordinarily hot right now, so I'll wait until we get a bit of a cool down.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.