Help, I need reassurance!

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Oh my gosh!
I did something I think I might be regretting already. After I got off work today, my husband and I were out in the garden in the backyard and were trimming the shrubs and cleaning up the bed and so forth. We decided we needed to trim some of the two evergreen trees lower limbs. They were growing over everything and just needed to be trimmed. I've had to move some daylilies and other things forward that grow in front of the evergreens in that garden bed about 4 times now. There is nowhere else to move them any more because the evergreens have grown all the way out to the edging and the lawn. Well, we ended up trimming them UP! I've always LOVED the evergreen trees natural look with the limbs all the way to the ground! My husband gets over crazy with the clippers and this is what happened! I did want to trim the VERY bottom limbs and that was it! But he wanted to keep cutting and I finally gave in and told him to just cut them then. ;o( I never should have went out there after work on a Friday when I'm tired....especially with the hubby! Oh my gosh! What have I done!!! It's too late now though. So I need your help!

Now it looks so bare to me. I need to plant something under or around or something to fill in some of the space that has been opened! I definitely do not like the open, bare look.

I know it's not the end of the world, but it kinda feels like it right now. So any suggestions or pictures of plantings under evergreens would be so reassuring. I'm not blaming my hubby, really I'm not. I've been thinking about maybe taking some limbs off, but I don't make these permanent decisions on a whim after a long week when I'm tired. Well, I guess I did today. ;o(

Here's a picture of a small part of the bed now. What can I do with it to make it look lush again?

Thanks for any and all input! Pictures would be very helpful too.
Sherry

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Great, forgot the picture.
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Here's what it used to look like before butchering the evergreens. I know it's not quite a fair comparison because this is from the end of June last year instead of the end of May like now. So lots more things are blooming in this photo. But it shows the evergreen trees from before. ;o(
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Sherry, I think they look great limbed up.
I would just think of it as another planting opportunity.
There of course are lots of plants that prosper in the shade.
Is it the root competition you're concerned about specifically?
Or the density of the shade?

(Edited to say, for full disclosure: I might not be the best judge,
as my wife thinks I am also overly enthusiastic with the pruners...)

This message was edited May 22, 2010 8:27 AM

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Weerobin,
Hi and thanks for your vote of confidence! I feel somewhat better about it today....but still wish I hadn't done it. Sad that it's a permanent thing. Oh well... Now I need to plant something in front of the evergreens and behind the daylilies. I was thinking maybe hydrangeas, as I would like something that blooms longer than rhodies or azaleas. I saw a new hydrangea somewhere on here called 'Strawberries and Cream', or something like that. They looked very pretty and interesting. I wonder how they would do there? Also saw some azaleas that said they bloom all summer. Might have to check into that too.

Maybe I should post this in the hydrangea forum and get some input.

Thanks for the moral support! Appreciate it very much. Anyone else with some ideas feel free to let me know.

Thanks,
Sherry

Grandview, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi Sherry, I think it looks great. I understand how you feel but don't panic yet. You'll get used to it. I think it looks great and no you have more room for your daylilies :)

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

catzgalore,
You're right. I think I just need to get used to it. No choice but to get used to it now. ;o) I was thinking of trying to put hydrangeas in between the evergreens and daylilies. I want something to kinda fill in at the bottom of the evergreens. Funny thing is, I just dug out my Nikko Blue hydrangea last spring and moved it over to the middle because the evergreen was completely hiding it. DUH!!! Wish the hydrangea was still there now. But like I said, I am looking at the 'strawberries and cream' hhydrangeas. What do you think? Any other ideas?
Thanks for your support! I swear, I almost cried. ;o( But I'm better today. ;o)
Sherry

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I vote for limbed up, also. I know it's personal preference, but to me the tree looks happier and better maintained. Once you get other plants in there, it's like a room all of its own. You'll get enough light that there are a lot of things that will do okay there.

Around here, the limbs will droop some as the tree ages, so yours may still go back down some. Because we have so many huge fir and cedar trees on this side of the mountains, it's a look you see a lot.

Kathy

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Here is one of mine that I did. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Another view

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

I love your evergreen garden. I've always wanted to start one. I think the trimmed tree looks ok. I gives some depth to the garden. In the meantime you could get some big clay pots and stuff them with white impatiens and maybe stick a small, variegated hosta in the pot also. It would really make a bright spot while you wait for the permanent plantings to take off. Just a thought.

Diana

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

dragonfly62,
Thanks for the photos. Very pretty. I like the hostas under the evergreen. I have a couple way in the back that had been covered by the tree until now. Maybe I should get some more hosta, only maybe some of the bigger ones now.

pastime,
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm thinking of a pink hydrangea behind the daylilies. I think that would really brighten it up with some real pretty color. I guess I could always move my Nikko Blue hydrangea back over behind the daylilies. But I hate to move it again. I just moved it last year because the evergreens were hiding it. Maybe I'll just stick to buying a new pink one. ;o)

Sherry

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

Annabelle hydrangea don't mind shade either. Mine never see the sun and they thrive. The big, white snowballs would stand out under the tree. Sounds like you have a good plan. Don't forget to post a picture when you're finished.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I think the trees limbed up like that look so neat and fresh. I really like it better that way. And it gives you a place for another interesting plant or two, which is way better than a few of the same old limbs, right?

As soon as I saw it, I was thinking an oakleaf hydrangea would look great there. Or one of the variegated hydrangeas to brighten up the spot. Even when not in bloom, the variegated foliage would be eye-catching.

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Hi ButterflyChaser,

Well, I have added a couple hydrangeas under the evergreen trees. I was going to go with a pink that stays pink. More of the big mophead type. But I was looking at different hydrangeas at a couple of different places today and fell in love with this one. It's called Twist and Shout. It's a reblooming lacecap and I've never had a lacecap. Well, really, I've only had 2 hydrangeas. One is my Nikko Blue. The other one is an Endless Summer (I think) that's still small. ;o) Then I went and looked up the Twist and Shout and see they get mixed reviews. oh well... Anyhow it is very pretty to me and seems like it will brighten it up under the trees. I will send some photos for you all to see what I have done so far. It will take some time for them to get bigger, but I think they will look great if they look like they do now. Only time will tell. ;o)

pastime,
Thanks for the suggestion. I think you're right and the white would really brighten it up! But I already got the Twist and Shout and decided I would like to try a lacecap. We shall see. I just hope they grow well under there.

Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Here's how they look under the evergreen trees. Kinda small to start, but hopefully they thrive and get BIG! LOL
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Another.
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Closeup of flower.
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

View from the other side.
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Another closeup.
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Okay, last one. Sorry, but can you tell I'm happy??? Hope it all works out. Stay tuned!!!

And thank you all for your reassurance and encouragement. I'm feeling better about the whole thing now.

Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I think the opening of that bed will be something you'll be glad you did for a long time. It will be a good place for heucheras, hostas and even ferns. Just go crazy!

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

I like the after picture also, limbed up. What I great place for a shade garden now. It is going to look great.

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

joycet,
Those are exact things I was thinking of putting in there! Thanks. ;o)

newyorkrita,
I'm sure going to try to make it look great! ;o) Can't wait until the new hydrangeas start growing!

Sherry

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Well, here it is July 15, 2011. Hard to believe! Here is a picture of that garden now. The funny thing is that you can't hardly even tell the evergreens have been limbed up. The red lilies that are blooming in front of them are hiding the two hydrangeas I planted under the trees. LOL You really can't even see the hydrangeas! Maybe after the lilies are done blooming. It's a shame because the hydrangeas are really beautiful! Anyhow, here's the photo.
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Here'a photo of what's hiding behind the lilies and under the evergreen trees. LOL
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.