Sini?

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

I have this marked as "Sini", but it doesn't match the description I have of it. I'm not finding it anywhere on the internet either. Anyone have any ideas? The description Is from where I bought it. The problem is, it doesn't match any others I'm supposed to have either.

Sini — (S. Dexter 81) Ruffled pink self with bright red-orange beards and a slight fragrance

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

and…

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Boise, ID(Zone 5b)

I found one called SINA by Dexter. However, no picture to compare with.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/107964/
Cultivar: Sina
Hybridized by Dexter; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1981

Interesting. Same hybridizer and year.

I will say that this bloom became a bit more uniform as it aged. But then it seems more of a light peach than pink.

Oh well. still nice.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Raleigh, NC

LOL - welcome to the world of irises, Mrs Ed! the biggest complaint about pink irises = most have a peach cast.

On checking the American Iris Society website, was surprised: not to know any of Dexter's intros. Perhaps Stan Dexter was better known locally than elsewhere. On googling, I found the following article in a Bellingham WA paper.

Perhaps you could go to www.irises.com, click on Regions on the left, and search under WA for local iris clubs close to the location of his garden. If he was well enough known to have a "Dexter iris collection," then someone locally may know his plants. The name Ingersoll is fairly well known. It appears Ms. Ingersoll introduced a great many of his irises for him.

DEMING - The Dexter iris collection will be open to the public the next two weekends, and people can buy rhizomes for $6 each, with part of the proceeds going to charity.
The garden is at the Williams blueberry farm. From Bellingham, go east on Mount Baker Highway past Nugent's Corner and turn right onto Hillard Road. At the stop sign, continue straight onto Williams Road, then go about one-fourth mile.

Stan Dexter started the hybrid iris collection in the 1960s. After his death, the collection has been cared for by Marie Ingersoll, then Carol Hayden and now Kristine Williams. Williams plans to donate a portion of the sales to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

Oh thanks so much for that information! I'll check into it.

Raleigh, NC

you're welcome

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.