Horrors! what is this on my LA iris?

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

this Joie de Vivre blooming beautifully until recently and now this: what is it?

Thumbnail by vossner

another problem, same plant. We had 6" of rain over last weekend, wondering if this us somehow related to that event.

Thumbnail by vossner
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I don't know what it is, but bet it's rain related. Last Spring there was a lot of rain here and my leaves looked like that and worse. Didn't do anything to them other than clean up the old ones in the Fall and this year they look great again.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi Nery,

Look at the pic of leaf miner about 3/4 of the way down the page and see if this looks like what you have.

Louisianas are tough guys. Whatever it is should not hurt the plant.

http://www.zydecoirises.com/Culture/CultureZydeco.htm

thank you. definitely leaf miner on the 2nd pic I posted. What a deal, I don't have to do anything about it, yeah!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

You're welcome. The rain probably brought them out to play.

Valdese, NC(Zone 7a)

The first pic kinda looks like it is slug droppings.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I found this on the Louisiana State University website.

Leaf miners are insect larva that feed by tunneling inside the leaf. White streaks will be observed running lengthwise through the leaf especially near the base. The outermost leaves may collapse. Although treatment is generally not needed, a systemic insecticide may be applied at the first sign of symptoms. Follow label directions carefully.
Other less common problems are caterpillars, iris borers, snails and slugs. Snails and slugs may climb up the flower stalks and damage the blooms, especially under rainy conditions. Control them with commercially available iron phosphate baits.

Do you think what you might be seeing in the first picture is the larva of the leaf miners?

It might be a good idea to put out the baits mentioned. Sluggo is iron phosphate and it's supposed to be quite safe for animals and beneficial insects.

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I was gonna say I thought the first one looks like poopies LOL

polly, I followed up on what you said and indeed it could be leaf miner poopies. And since I have the other damage, the whitish markings in the 2nd pic I posted, I think it corroborates leaf miner damage.

But slug poopies, as floweraddict suggested, also looks like that.

I need to get a life if my day starts w/ me thinking about critter poop.....

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

You've just got to get to know your poop better, so you can identify it faster.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.