who is your favorite seed vendor?

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

do you have a favorite place that is not well known? or a well known place that is unknown to me? have you had good luck with germination?

i bought seeds from a pacific northwest group once but can't find them now. they were a gardening club basically but they had a gazillion seed choices.

thanks.

Carmel, IN(Zone 5b)

I've purchased and traded seeds from Jonna Sudenius in Belgium several times. Great selection of usual and unusual seeds, prices are reasonable, germination is great, and there are always good instructions sent on the package. Look for listings on the marketplace.......

Also had good luck with Baker Creek Heirloom seed, Garden Thyme Herbs, and Territorial Seeds.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

well mom i have bought from her too. i'll look. and i'll try those other places as well. thanks.

Waterloo, IA

seed savers:
http://www.seedsavers.org/
mostly heirloom, natives and prairie plants

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

baker creek had a few interesting choices. i like distinctive and odd plants. will go look at territorial now. i am looking for flower seeds mostly but odd veggies are fun.

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

I've gotten lots of wonderful (and unusual) seeds from Summer Hill. http://www.summerhillseeds.com/

gieten, Netherlands

i have bought alot of beautiful seeds from http://www.rareplants.de in germany
and i trade alot of seeds and plant with jonna sudenius in belgium wunderful person and alot of unusual seeds

Gainesville, FL

J. L. Hudson, Seedsman

http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

i will get in touch with jonna and rare plants. there are some really unusual seeds at rare plants. i hope the owner speaks english. lol.

thanks everyone for the ideas.

Büllingen, Belgium(Zone 6b)

If the owner of rare plants doesn't speak english, I might be able to help. I speak German.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

well johnna light bulbs are going off all over the place inside my head. we must do brunch. do you speak texan english too?

gieten, Netherlands

rare plants has an english list also

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

My favorite place for seeds is the DG Fall Frenzy Piggy Seed Swap. Check the Cottage Gardening Forum in the fall.

The worst place to buy seeds (unless you like ones that never grow) is Hirt's. You may see some temping rare varieties from them on Ebay or Amazon or elsewhere, But Don't take the bait!

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

speaking of germination i had really good luck with the seeds i got from gardengal or whatever her name is.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Try Botanical Interests... I have always had pretty much 100% germination from their seeds, even ones that were "old" I found kicking around my place... LOL

They have great seeds and excellent customer service and their seed packets contain a lot of information. They have more selection online, though a local nursery here sells their seeds, as does Whole Foods...

Maybe not so many unusual seeds, but good seeds you can't go wrong with.

www.botanicalinterests.com

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

i liked lots of their choices loca. thanks.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

how many seeds per pack? decent or minimal?

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Decent number of seeds mama - more than I expected for the price. Their prices are reasonable as is shipping...

columbia, TN(Zone 7a)

Gardensnorth.com has an unbelievable selection as does Prarie Moon.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

thanks kob. i will check them out. on both of those..............do you get a fair number of seeds for the price?

columbia, TN(Zone 7a)

Prarie Moon is more generous than GN.

Edinburg, TX

I love GrocoSeeds on ebay. Very reasonable and offers bulk seeds.

~ Cat

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

do you have good germination with them too texas?

Edinburg, TX

Yes, I'd ordered a bunch of flower seeds to toss out at the ranch. They were doing really well but got zapped by two freak freezes we had back to back. Then it hadn't rained in months to make matters worse.

We got some good rain a while back and more this week. Some are making a comeback so I hope they will be able to go to seed. The beebalm is doing great and the butterflies are enjoying that!

~ Cat

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.