Freeze damage

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Last week we had a horrible freeze - the temps dropped into the twenties even up here on the hill. My Acer jap. dissectum was hit particularly hard. There are maybe 10 leasves that aren't dead and crumbly. Do I have a hope that it will bounce back? It is a low growing shrubbly thing. The leaves coming up from the graft host look fine, and I've hesitated to break them off in case they are what I'm left with. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

if the new leaves are below the graft cut them off they are not from the tree above the graft - your tree will most likely bounce back - a picture would help.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

If you have bark damage as is usually the case with many dissectums that get hit with sap a runnin your tree is likely a gonner . If your tree shoots out secondaries don't get too excited cause if such damage has occurred it is likely they wilt die in short order too. you will know in 3 weeks to a month .. generally speaking Bill is correct and it may force out new leaves up top but it probably doesn't matter..
I have no scientific proof but this is one reason I do NOT like high grafted dissectums .. I think it makes them especially susceptible to this sort of damage ..90% of my trees that died under similar circumstanses during that bad spring freerze a few years back were dissectums .. in fact most of all trees killed were such from reports after that event .. Maybe they are just not as hardy but that long bare unprotected trunk looks like it may be a problem ..... I t6hink any tree grafted above 6" is a high graft .. some are just stupid looking being grafted at 2-3'.. It's just a theroy though but the ugly part still stands IMHO..

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

This is the whole tree. I guess I wasn't very clear. The whole tree is about 18 inches tall and the graft is 2 or 3 inches above the ground.

Thumbnail by Kathleen
Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

close up of damaged leaves

Thumbnail by Kathleen
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

wow that tree does not look well - i hope it bounces back - give it a few weeks if nothing happens by then it is a goner.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. A little oak tree not too far from this took a hit and it is already putting out new buds. This tree is crunchy - although I noticed today that there are a few lower limbs with leaves. I may just do a heavy prune and see if they can carry it.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i would still wait some time before doing that

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I wouldn't prune the tree now either. No point in putting additional stress on it. Just wait and see - no food or more than the usual water.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

I'll wait - don't feed or water, let the rain take care of it.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Just a note, my tree is putting out new leaves, which makes me very happy.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

that is great kathleen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.