Sun burn? and ID Please

Belleville, MI(Zone 6a)

Can someone tell my why the tree gets this way. Also if anyone knows it's id, that would be great

Thumbnail by rustyacres
Belleville, MI(Zone 6a)

another pict

Thumbnail by rustyacres
Belleville, MI(Zone 6a)

leaf

Thumbnail by rustyacres
Belleville, MI(Zone 6a)

last one

Thumbnail by rustyacres
Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

No offense but you are WAY to picky ... all JMs will have leaf spots from sun, wind, bugs etc sometimes too much fertilizer drifting sprays etc .. most folks would kill to have a jm that looks that nice .. just pull off any totally or almost totally dried up leaves and it will shoot secondaries .. Davidsan

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

looks like sun damage - is it a new tree? - i only ask because it does take some time for them to get used to their new home - davidsans is right it does look like a nice tree.

Belleville, MI(Zone 6a)

Thanks, I love it, grew it from a tiny little twig I found in my grandma's yard. It has lots of sentimental value! It has been in the same place for about 8 years and this is the worse I have seen it, just wanted to know that I didn't need to change something right now.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Its been a very wet year for most of the mid west at record or near record level and I assume the same for you it has also been VERY windy with winds worse than we have ever had for this long a period of time .. it also for most of us was a very warm April with lots of sun some days here were in the 80's ..this is after the worst winter since the 1980's I would assume this likely has something to do with it's current slightly less pristine condition..JMs very in color growth rate sun burn leaf size and amount leafing and growth from year to year unless you live in a perfect JM growing area like Oregon then it is all good as long as they don't have any severe cold spells like they did this winter Davidsan

Norridgewock, ME(Zone 5a)

I had a new Aureum with leaf damage on the top of the tree this spring. I thought it was likely sun damage and moved the pot to where it wouldn't get hit in the afternoon. Then I asked the expert at the nursery whether he thought it was frost or sun damage, and he said frost (we recently had 3 nights of light frost in a row). Is there any way to tell for sure, or is this always guesswork?

Belleville, MI(Zone 6a)

That very well could be for my tree too, we did have a few days like that after all the leaves were out!

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Guesswork .. I had warned folks right and left about getting leafed out culticvars too early but that early warm April mesmerized folks into thinking the winter was over .. I am sure some frost / freeze damaged happened but there is no way to tell especially with Aureum that tree is so touchy you could have just breathed on it the wrong way.. it could be any of the aforementioned reasons ... but frost is a "possibility.. leaves that dry up or are partially crispy are much less of a concern than those that wilt in my experience.. once they all wilt then it's a problem that generally can't be solved a systemmic problem.. usually winter damged roots or just too wet.. then the barks turns grey and white or black splotches then it's a gonner.

Belleville, MI(Zone 6a)

Any suggestions on moving it? We will need to move it this year as it's over water and electric lines. I hadn't planned on leaving it where it is for so long....... but than time flys when your having fun........ or working! We will fix the lines if they get damaged, not a biggie. I want to save the tree, not the lines!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.