Help with iris ID.

Merino, Australia

I know it is very hard to ID an iris from a photo , but I am hoping someone may know this one as it does have a distinctive dark beard. Sorry I only have this photo which is not great . There was only the one flower left on the plant when I bought it . I was lucky enough to have someone on here ID the other I bought at the same time as Khalifas Horn. This one is much lighter with no horns. The dark beards look quite unusual on such a lovely light colored iris. I will be keeping it with or without a name as it is so pretty. Thank you for any info on it.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

What a beautiful Iris! I wish I could help...
Hopefully someone can help you :)

Elba, NY(Zone 6a)

Looks to me like Gnu Blues (or maybe Gnus Blues) by Kasperek. They are noted for the crazy splashed colors in their line of irises. That one has dark beard also.

Lebanon, OR

Sorry I do not think it is either of Gnu's

D

Merino, Australia

I agree D. Mine has distinct short yellow stripes along the back edges of the falls and the beard is darker. Mine is perfumed . Quite lovely. It does look to have some of the Gnu Blues characteristics .

This message was edited May 21, 2010 2:41 PM

Lebanon, OR

As I have stated before, when trying to ID from photo, there are so many ifs that can make photo ID a problem, camera, soil, monitor, time of day all effect the overall appearance of the iris...Judges will not do this because this is why there are more and more iris out there that are not true or almost impossible to find the TRUE one, why because of guessing...

If you want to see an excellent example of what I mean go to plantfiles and look at Dusky Challenger and you will 14 photos of it and almost all are different

D

Merino, Australia

Thank you D. I am not too worried about the name as it is not one that would be sold to anyone. I was just curious as to whether it was recognisable to anyone. I know what you mean about the differences in colors as I see it in my own garden , depending on the weather.
Just off topic , I have my first ever and only reblooming iris at the moment. Irises don't seem to rebloom here no matter what the weather is. This one has been blooming for about 2 weeks and still has buds to open. Progressive Attitude.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Lebanon, OR

Sorry to sound like I want to lecture but I know all too well what photo ID can do the market here.

There are several that your lovely iris could be. Did you ever a list of iris that it could be from? If so that would help.

Here in OR it is wet wild and nasty. Can not do any crosses or pictures and our club show is tomorrow.

D

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.