Echinacea "Marmalade" Photos

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Just thought I'd put the Echinacea "Marmalade" photos all in one topic. Here's a photo of Echie "Marmalade" on Day 3.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Echinacea "Marmalade" on Day 1

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Echinacea "Marmalade" on Day 12.

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore
(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

So it changes colors too! I have one of these somewhere but I don't know which one it is yet because the tags were lost in the flood.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

oh my there's been some new ones on this thread i've never heard of.

Where did you get this one at?

love it.

I think Great Garden Plants is the only place these are for sale. I know they have it.

Correct Clint. Mine was ordered from Great Garden Plants and they are the only ones carrying it at this time.

Here's a new look I'm seeing on the second bloom on Echinacea "Marmalade" today. It's a third color (yellow) appearing in the bloom. Interesting.

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore

I love it! Glad I ordered one. The plants from Arie Bloom seem to handle the heat much better than the plants from Terra Nova. I wonder why. It's strange. I've noticed that his plants always outperform any other Echinaceas, especially from plugs. I don't know if it's the tissue culture lab they use or what, but their plants are always easier to grow and not stunted.

Perhaps Arie Bloom is a little more particular with what is released, and only releases the "best of the best". I would bet that 90% of the newly created Echinaceas never make it to trials or ever get released to the public for one reason or another. There would be a whole realm of factors that would make a breeder not release a certain creation (poor growth, poor blooming, inconsistent blooms, poor flower form, low disease resistance.....and I'm sure quite a few other factors.

That bloom looks huge! How large is it? LOL.

LOL. Its about a foot across. It's actually 3 1/2 inches from top to bottom and 3 inches across. The echies seem to bloom a little smaller down here, in comparison to what I've seen up North. I'm guessing it's about twice the size of "Pink Double Delight". You also have to factor in that its the only bloom on "Marmalade" right now, and first blooms are oftentimes larger because more plant energy goes into that single bloom. At least that's true with hibiscus. If you want BIG blooms you pull off most of the buds and let the plant energy funnel into just a few buds. At least that's what people do when they are anticipating entering a bloom in a Hibiscus Show.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Oh Jon this one just keeps getting better and better. I have a bud on one of mine and can not wait for it to bloom. So glad you share your goodies with us so we don't have wait so long to get a look at these new varieties.

You have to admit the anticipation of seeing the first bloom and how it evolves is intriguing. It's probably one of the reasons were always very interested in obtaining the new ones.

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

I want to thank you so much for the enabling. I have placed an order with both Great Garden Plants and Roots & Rhizomes, for echinacea. I can't wait for the great echies to arrive.

Susan
=^..^=

Oh no. Now see what we've done here kids. Very bad bad bad enablers. So what's the punishment?

nice plants???

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Susan we need an Echie coop :o)

fat chance

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I know that now :o(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.