What tree is this?

Adelaide, Australia

Hi, I have a tree growing in my backyard (a fair few actually) and I have absolutely no clue as to what it is. I've tried online tree identifiers, but even they don't know. According to them, my tree doesn't exist. Can someone please tell me what it is?
Sorry that the picture isn't exactly the best and it's only a stem, but any help would be much appreciated.

Thumbnail by WolffenGirl
Churchill, Victoria, Australia(Zone 10a)

WolffenGirl,
Sorry but I cannot so far find your tree, but I did try and improve your picture, so this modified picture might help others looking for its ID,

I think your 'shoot' is in fact a single bipinnate leaf

Kennedy

This message was edited May 19, 2010 4:09 PM

Thumbnail by kennedyh
barmera, Australia

This is just a guess but it's not a chinese Cedar tree is it?. Does it have bunches of small white and purple flowers with a beautiful smell? Colleen

Churchill, Victoria, Australia(Zone 10a)

I think Colleen has it right. It is the White Cedar (Melia azederach). This tree is native in northern New South Wales and Queensland and has beautiful scented flowers, but it is commonly grown in other states and I have seen several of them in the Adelaide area.

Here is a leaf picture to compare with yours: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/50645/

Kennedy

Adelaide, Australia

Yes, when the tree is in bloom there are actually small, white flowers and they do have a very strong scent. I think it actually could be a Chinese or White Cedar tree. I've taken another picture of it, this one should be a lot clearer. But I'm actually leaning towards it being a Cedar tree of some sort, it sure looks like it.

Thumbnail by WolffenGirl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.