Moved and moved some cannas with me. They are UNHAPPY!

Hendersonville, TN(Zone 7a)

We left our home of 25 yrs and moved to the country last year. Our daughter and son-in-law bought our place, so I've been gradually moving some of my perennials here. I brought several cannas over last fall and put in both pots and in the ground in various locations here. They're coming up now but many have problems. I'm hoping someone here can help me identify what's wrong and hoping that it's something I can fix. I'm very sentimental, and would just hate to lose these. :( (Unfortunately, the cannas aren't the only plants that aren't happy with their new home).

They seem to each have their own unique issues.....so I'll be posting several pics. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Thumbnail by StaceyTN

Here is another sad clown..... Is there hope?

Thumbnail by StaceyTN

Last one....:(

I am so hoping that none of these have that canna virus. By the way, more than these are suffering, but the three I've posted depict the problems the others have as well.

Thumbnail by StaceyTN
cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

I'm not positive but i think the canna virus you can only get by planting a canna or seed that had the virus near it, I dont think it just appears one day.. So if you havent bought new ones for at least a year i would think thats not it..
The first pic looks like one i had due to slugs or grasshoppers..
-Could they be in a location with more wind??
-is there bugs around or animals??
-any chance there was a frost??
jen

Thanks for responding Jen!

It has been very windy and rainy here this season (Nashville floods). I have other plants that were negatively affected or completely washed away by all the rain, but figured the extra aqua wouldn't have hurt the cannas. The wind never even occurred to me....doh. Are you thinking that might be why the leaves are splitting? (Sorry if that's a dumb question).

And oh yes, lots of bugs and critters. We have tunnels all over the property from voles (or moles) and the Japanese beetles are out of control. Slugs too....everywhere, along with spiders, mosquitoes, every bug I can think of actually. (It's probably going to be an extra bad year for bugs due to the floods). I agree the first pic looks like it's being eaten. Any suggestions as to how to stop it Jen? This is happening with several of them. I've been putting slug bait out, but it's not working. I guess I need to try egg shells too, but what about for the bugs?

Have any of your cannas leaves ever split like that? The only problems I had at the other place with my cannas were leaf rollers, but they didn't look like any of these.

I've always left my cannas in the ground (even tho people say they won't come back here unless they are dug up....they do) year round, so there is a chance they were hit with a frost, but I really don't think so. I know they hadn't poked out of the ground yet when we had our last frost.

Sorry for all the questions! Thanks so much!

I haven't purchased any cannas in years, only moved them, so I'm relieved to know it's probably not the virus.. I've been a member here for quite a while, but never had much time to be here, and admittedly don't know much about gardening, other than personal experience. Now that my kids are grown and out of the house, I'm hoping to really begin researching and learning and sharing here at DG!

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

yes we have had many windy storms and some of my leaves are also split..
depending on whats eating the plant, theres a few critter riders i know for slugs and hoppers the voles could be eating them too..
ya they have to be out of the ground for frost to hurt them unless the ground is frozen.. I always dig mine up..

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Give then a little fertilizer to get them going.
And keep them going with additional feedings and good watering as temps continue to warm.
They will improve into summer heat.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7a)

I agree it looks like wind damage. Bright sun, warmth, food, water - in no time they will be happy as clams.

Thanks for your replies everyone! I'm happy to report my cannas all are doing beautifully now.....both in pots and in the ground. Ya'll were right about the sun and heat. I also took your advice and worked some Osmocote in around them, Abutilon. I usually do that when planting but was in a hurry to get a lot of these in the ground last fall and just stuck them in, without adding fertilizer. I seem to be one of the world's luckiest gardeners. When I read here now and see everything I've done wrong for the last 30 years with so many of my plants, yet they thrived (maybe "survived" is a better word lol), I wanna get on my hands and knees and kiss the ground!

I'll post pics when I get some blooms. So far just one bloom, and it's on a dwarf canna. I'm assuming it's a "dwarf" as it's very short and already has a bloom. Unfortunately, it's planted (inadvertently) behind some rudbeckia that is already 2 1/2 ft tall, making the small canna almost totally hidden. :( It will definitely need to be moved at some point. Hopefully, others planted behind the rudbeckia will not be a dwarf variety. Keeping my fingers crossed anyway. I'm clueless as to what species of cannas I have, since they are all transplants from our old house, friends and neighbors houses, etc. that I've accumulated over the years, and I never knew what they were to begin with. As they bloom this year, I hope to use the web to identify each one though.

Happy day to all!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.