IN POTS.....CARE PROCEEDURE

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

After some fifty years my health has suggested that I better become a pot gardener. I started with small plant tubers. They are up about four inches and look like my pinching should begin now. What say ye? I plan to mulch the pots when they go outside in about two more weeks. What say ye?

They are in Pro Mix with low number organic fertilizer added. They will get finished compost tea weakly weekly. What say ye?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Did you start with named plants, doc, so you know the eventual height? Did you stake them if they'll get tall or if your area is prone to winds?

Many of us pinch after the second or third set of leaves. It all depends on the height they'll get.

Everything else sounds good.

Yes I talked with a NY grower who had five or six advertised in the twelve to fourteen inch catagory. I wanted them for the edge of the patio. The flowers are small too. First he sent rooted cuttings which did not grow for me. He anounced a problem and gladly replaced the rooted cuttings with tubers.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Seems you've done everything right so it's just waiting for them to sprout. You should see growth three weeks from when you planted them or maybe even sooner.

Three weeks is about correct to first emergence. I pinched just above the second set of true leaves based on help given here. Thanks. Due to cool weather I am waiting to put them outside for their summer grow.

I'm not at all sure we are past the last fost. That is hard to read this Spring. I shall wait until after the next full moon plus a day or two. I have nothing out yet in the tender category.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Sounds like you have everything well handled doc. That's pretty much how I do my container dahlias but I have to stake as I'm in windy conditions.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.