vegetable garden

Sydney, Australia

I've just planted some snow pea seeds and some broad bean seeds. I have favourite vegetables to plant that don't need insecticides and these two fit the bill. Anybody know some other vegetables that aren't too favoured as a source of caterpillar food?

Thumbnail by Fruity_Sage
West of Brisbane, Australia

Radish seem to do well for me. Spring onions too.
I've got a tiny plot of cabbages and lettuce but, like you, don't want to eat powder-saturated veggies. As I have to protect my beds against the pets anyway with some sort of rough fence, I simply staked the edges of the bed and draped bird netting over it. The netting covers the entire bed, right down to the ground. It keeps out the butterflies and therefore the caterpillars. (Although I do use snail pellets, but you could use beer or something similar.)

barmera, Australia

What about Silverbeet Fruity, or parsnips, swedes, turnips, carrots, ordinary beans. Colleen

Sydney, Australia

Sounds good I'm going to try the bird netting to keep moths out. When I was six mum gave me a little garden and some radish seeds and I've been hooked on vegetable gardening ever since. I just happen to love radishes. I wonder why. It's funny how we are comfortable with what we eat growing up. Mum used to give lots of vegemite as a kid and still love the stuff. My hubby calls it axle grease and likes peanut butter. Chalk and Cheese we are but opposites attract.
I did put saucers of beer out to kill the slugs and did get so many but the commercial snail pellets saved my garden because it was just being demolished by snail and slugs.
I have a picture of my hubby with a zuccini I grew.
Silverbeet is great to grow and when I was on Tony Ferguson I used to rip up my silver beet and put it in the soup just before I drank it. It was lovely.
Thanks for your ideas I love them.

Thumbnail by Fruity_Sage

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.