Question about plugs

Wiggins, MS(Zone 8b)

I have never ordered plugs before and didn't realize this was an option until reading this forum. I would like to know what size plants I can expect and should they bloom this year? Thanks for any advice, Joyce

Chattanooga, TN(Zone 7b)

maybe this will help:
http://greenthumbsgalore.com/images/cones/size_samples.jpg

these are different varieties in the picture, from left (smallest) to right:
pink poodle, mac n cheese, flame thrower and pink double delight

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

I saw some of the 4 inch pots at the nursery. Very healthy. Will something of that size bloom this summer?

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

They will bloom, but some of the newer varieties are stronger the next year if you remove the buds and let them focus on making a bigger crown and roots. If it's Pink or White, let it bloom the first year. If it's Orange, Yellow, Red or any combination of the two...remove the buds the first year. NOTE: "Tomato Soup" is an exception and returned for me the second year after I let it bloom the first year. It seems to be a stronger plant than the other new colors.

Echinacea "Pink Double Delight" is a very strong plant. You can let it bloom all summer and it will still return next year. As will "Coconut Lime" and all other White or Pink flowering plants.

Some of the new Echinaceas like "Tiki Torch" and others will try to bloom when they are too small to support the blooms. It's not a good idea to let such tiny plants bloom. You will have much better luck with them returning if you don't let them bloom the first year.

Echinacea "Flame Thrower" didn't bloom the first year for me. It didn't even put up any buds, but the plants are amazing and strong. They seem to be among the best of the new plants. I think their lack of flowers the first year is one of the reasons for their vigor.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.