Recording Hybrid Tall Bearded Iris

Marshall, TX

Could one of you please direct me to the best online source for information on naming and introducing an iris?

Thumbnail by karmafarms
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

http://www.irises.org/registration.htm

South Hamilton, MA

Hey Zack we are going to Madison & will look for your seedling--number please!

Marshall, TX

Thanks, Dan!! Hey, I really do like your Epicenter/Holy Cow seedling I bought, BTW.

Thumbnail by karmafarms
Marshall, TX

It actually looks more black than this pic. You know how the blacks look more their base color when the sun is going through them. Maybe this one is better?

Thumbnail by karmafarms
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Hello IrisMA, sorry for not responding sooner. This is the first time I've had at the computer in almost a week. The seedling that you liked best is 03-21D. It's at Breezeway Gardens. There are eight other seedlings that I sent to Madison, and all are planted at Breeezeway. Some of the same are also planted at Rotary, Earthspirit, Skyline, Becker's, and Meadowbrook. Here's the seedling numbers of the others.

04-34F, 04-8D, 03-21B, 04-8G, 04-19B, 04-31E, 03-24A, 06-1A.

Of these, my hopes are with 04-8D. It has the potential to be a good quality "garden iris". Not showbench quality, but a garden standout. Very vigorous with strong stems and lots of blooms. That's the direction I'm going with my hybridizing. Hopefully it will do the same in other climates. The others are from good parents and have breeding potential.

Thanks so much... I appreciate you thinking about me. Hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Hey karmafarms... glad you got a seedling that you like. Most everything from Ghio (Epicenter) has potential, and Burseen's irises (Holy Cow) are some of the best growing iris you will find. Good luck with your crosses.

Dan

Vail, AZ

On the topic of naming and introducing new hybrids, ZACATTACK was correct on how to get a registration form. If you want to check to see if your name is taken, you need to sign up for irisregister.com. It's just $10 for a year. I just registered two sdlgs myself. My judge friend Kathy Chilton says you should have your seedling evaluated for a couple of years before you introduce. That is done by offering it for sale and letting the registrar know how it has been advertised. I'm sending my seedling to So Cal for the 2012 convention to be evaluated. If I get positive response from the judges I will introduce them. This picture is of "Ginny's Smile". I named it after a member of our local iris society that recently died in a car crash.

Thumbnail by redheadclan
South Hamilton, MA

Lovely idea for a memorial.

Elba, NY(Zone 6a)

Ginny's Smile is beautiful! Lovely tribute!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.