Where to find this tree

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I seen this maple at a nursery, it was huge and very pricey. I thought I could find one cheaper (smaller) through mail order.
Any comments on the tree? I know it is a maple so the roots will be invasive, but I don't plan on putting it near the house.

Thumbnail by FrillyLily

The leaves are a bright yellowish green, kind of lime color.
I think it would really stand out in the yard.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I took a pic of one yesterday. Great spring yellow foliage and good fall colour around here. There's some comments online that it can burn in hot sun.

Thumbnail by growin
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

The fall colour was particularly nice.

Thumbnail by growin

The tag says that the color stays yellowish through the summer, not just when it leafs out in the spring. Is that true?
It gets really hot here in the summer, and sometimes quite dry. Temps reach 100 for a week or so at a time in the summer.
It would be planted in full sun.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Here's where I found the comment about hot conditions: http://www.barcham.co.uk/trees/acer-platanoides-princeton-gold-norway-maple
I'm wondering if it goes quite yellow first thing in the spring and then a little bit greenish-yellow. I'll be watching a few rows of it this year.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Found this little article: http://www.extension.iastate.edu/news/2009/jul/061401.htm

well it is a gorgeous tree, but seems like I should pass on it, as our summers would not do it well.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

It sure stands out in the landscape around here. If you had a partly shaded spot, and considering what I've read about it's slow growth, it would make a nice specimen to brighten up the landscape.

yeah, that link also suggests some shade for it in climates that have hot summers. Leaf burn would not look too good I don't think.
thanks for the heads up!

I have a weigala (sp) that is lime green, and it has bright red blooms on it in the spring. It is about 6 feet all and wide. I may use some more of those around to bring out some of that bright color for contrast.

I don't really have any shade. I am starting all my trees, as all the original ones are gone now. I do have a little shade on one end of the yard, but that is because the neighbor has large oak trees. I don't know how well the tree would do with the oak's roots. Plus I don't think I have room there for a tree.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

You could plant a faster growing tree close to the Princeton Gold and let the other tree provide some shade. I took this pic last week on a major road and you can see how it stands out...and if you look down the road there's another.

Thumbnail by growin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.