need help preparing Siberian Iris for shipping

Lake Charles, LA

I am preparing Siberian Iris for shipping. I know to wash them and let them dry, but should I cut the leaves off? Should it be at an angle? And how much of the stalk should I leave.
Thank you,
Angela

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi Angela,

Don't let them dry. Wash the dirt off, and wrap them in wet paper towels, and put the iris and towel inside plastic sandwich bags, so the bags go up to the first inch or so of the leaves. Then tape the bag closed so the wet stays in. Cut the leaves back to 5 inches or so. You can cut them straight across. Just cut the stalk down with the leaves. Wrap the whole thing in newspaper. I suggest you line the box you are sending them in with plastic, but allow the top to stay open so they can get some air.

If they have dried any, soak them before shipping.

Fall is a much better time to ship in your area. But it sounds like you're doing it already, so this is the best you can do.

Lake Charles, LA

Thanks for you quick reply. I just dug them. Do you think the large one that broke is damaged? Are the 31/2-4" ones a good size or not? They probably are choked to death under that tree.
Thanks,
Angela

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

3.5 to 4" tall? What broke?

Lake Charles, LA

Oh, sorry. The irises are under crepe myrtle trees and extremely hard to dig. I got several rhizomes 3.5-4" long, and was wondering how that is for size? One was rather large probably 8", but looks like part of it broke off. I was wondering if it is damaged now.
If the 3.5-4" ones are ok, I will send them.
I had previously e-mailed you. Mit referred me to you and says hello.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Did I miss your email, or was that some time ago? I am sorry if i didn't respond.

The 3.5 to 4" rhizome is fine. If the 8" one broke off, as long as it has roots it's fine. They recover easily, don't worry about damage.

Hi to Mitt, too!

Lake Charles, LA

Ok, thanks. I just e-mailed you a few minutes ago.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.