Want weeping evergreens

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I would love to buy, trade or pay postage for weeping evergreens.

Kathy

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Your best bet is to search for online nurseries that sell via mail order. Producing extra weeping conifers is not something the average homeowner can manage. Almost all weeping conifers are grafted and you need somewhat specialized conditions in order to graft successfully.
Good luck

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the info. All weeping conifers are hard to find in my area. I did buy one very expensive 5 ft tree as a memorial plant for my stepdad. $145 but if I could get seedlings of these I would be able to train them myself. I love doing different things with average plants. This nursery purchased their trees from Oregon.

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Many nurseries here sell several weeping types. Any large nursery chain or big box store usually have some too.I watch till they have sales or special promo's then buy them.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I may get you to buy one for me and mail it when they hit clearance - because VA - or my SW part does NOT have them in any nursery, box store, etc.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

If the local nurseries don't carry weeping conifers normally, I would go talk to the manager or buyer for the nursery, now, to see if they could order some plants for you for delivery next spring. You will get a much larger plant by buying at a local nursery rather than buying by mail order. You may even get a special price since it's going to be a quick turnaround for the nursery. I'd do some research so you know what kinds of weeping conifers you would like to order and the size you'd like to order. The nursery should be able to give you a rough guesstimate as to your cost.

Most weeping forms of conifers are grafted rather than being seedlings, or they are rooted cuttings.

Just about every nursery around this area carries a number of weeping conifers. Weeping conifers add a grace and elegance to a landscape like no other plant can, IMHO.
Good luck

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

In the "Products and Sources" tab for Dave's Garden, there is a way to search for nurseries by zip code. You might be amazed what is available within a one hour drive from your home.

Ordering by mail is good for collectors who want something specific and are willing to nurture a small (young) graft but not ideal if you want something that will look good now and have immediate impact in the landscape. Ordering conifers by mail can get very expensive on shipping, for anything more than a foot tall the shipping may be half of the purchase price.

Even big box stores usually have one or two types of weeping conifers available.

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Here is the Garden Watchdog link:
http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/

The zip code search is located right at the top.

Another way to search is by by product category. Scroll down on the GW site, and search by Plants: Evergreens. Then you can further refine the search by state or other categories.

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/advanced.php?category=52&submit=Go&cat[158]=52

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Great - thanks so much. I will ck out the thread.
Kathy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.