Which is least of the evils for repotting time?

Norridgewock, ME(Zone 5a)

I just purchased a green dissectum that is very pot-bound. But of course it is not a good time for repotting, since the tree is fully leafed out. Which is worse, leaving it pot-bound all summer, or repotting at the wrong time? Or should I temporarily plant it in the ground so at least the roots have somewhere to grow, and then dig up in the fall and repot before storing for the winter?

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

good question - i would plant it in the ground and separate the roots now, keep it watered and an eye on it.

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

I suppose you could go either way on this, two weeks ago we had some strong winds here in NY. My 9yr old bonsai maple fell to the ground and the pot shattered, (no branches were damaged as it fell upright). It was fully leafed out. I immediately repotted with a spare pot I had and kept it out of the sun for a week. This week I put it out again - none the worse for wear. Considering Maine is cooler than NY I'd say it hasn't reached the point of max growth rate for this season yet. Both leaving it in the pot & transplanting are viable at this point (IMO), but if it is to be transplanted it should be into a pot & not the ground, ( to save it the stress of being transplanted a second time in the fall.) - the choice however, should be made ASAP.

- taken yesterday two weeks after transplanting...

Thumbnail by WaterCan2
Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

I don't see any reason not to repot now .. just work the ball loose and separate many of the roots.. do so of an evening repot and water well .the bare ball well before you repot.. I wouldn't totally unravel the roots .. and leave some of the dirt in the ball but that should be enough .. you may have a bit of droopiness for a day or so but keep in shade after repotting and it should be fine,, don't do so in the sun in 80 degree weather or put out afterwards in heat and or sun and water well but let it dry a bit after.. don't over compensate by watering it too much after or fertilizing it at all til it all til it recovers.

Morrison, TN

This last week we re-potted over 800 1gal 'Bloodgood' in to 3gal airpruning containers all in full sun the trees never missed a beat this week or next we will re-pot 600 'Bloodgood 3gal in to 7gal. Just keep the roots moist. I still have a couple of thousand 'Bloodgood' cuttings that I rooted last year to pot.

Otis

Norridgewock, ME(Zone 5a)

Thank you all for your feedback. Just to bring everyone up to date, I followed the advice here and just lightly loosened the worst of the roots, then put in a slightly larger pot with some shading. A few leaves on top showed some burn in the section that was wasn't quite behind my shade barrier, but it is doing well now, growing like crazy.

Otis, I can't imagine potting that many trees--that is punishing! Hope you had lots of help.

Camp Hill, PA

Geez otis! my back hurts from READING your post!

granitegneiss, good to hear your tree is on the rebound!

It's sure nice to have access to such knowledgeable and helpful folks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.