Clems blooming in my garden right now!

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Here are some of my babies this year. This is Clema`tide. Big, bold and beautiful. She is in the ground next to a jackmanii that hasn't come to bloom yet this year.

This message was edited May 15, 2010 4:48 AM

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

She has very sturdy stems and is very hardy.

This message was edited May 15, 2010 4:45 AM

Thumbnail by mstish
Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

This is Niobe in the morning. She takes my breath away.

Thumbnail by mstish
Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

And last but not least; Mr. President.

Thumbnail by mstish
Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Oops, Clema`tide didn't post. Here she is. She's not shy, with her stunning white skirts and yellow center she attracts attention.

Thumbnail by mstish
Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Dr. Rupple. She didn't bloom for the first two years and then last year she only had one bloom. Looks like this year she will hit her stride.

Thumbnail by mstish
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

How beautiful..congrats on your blooms they are gorgeous...Jeanne

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

May is wonderful month for Clematis blooms all around. :-)

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

"Oops, Clema`tide didn't post."
I'm not familiar with that clematis..and can't find the name on COTW..I know clematide is italian for Clematis..do you have the name right?..Jeanne

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

It is listed as languinosa candida. Maybe I have it wrong.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Ahh..thanks for the info...It's beautiful!!...Jeanne

Ravenna, OH(Zone 5b)

First blooms for me on Crystal Fountain. I also have blooms now on Dr Ruppel, which also only gave me one bloom in his first year.

Thumbnail by kentstar
Ravenna, OH(Zone 5b)

Dr Ruppel

Thumbnail by kentstar
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Kent, Crystal Fountain are gorgeous. Dr. Rupel is very flamboyant too. What are those tiny blue flowers as ground cover? Forget-me-not? Nice combo.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Dr. Rupple has been excellent this year and no slug/earwig damage.

Thumbnail by pirl
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Indeed, 'he' is a handsome lad! Nice pirl!

Thanks. He's also very happy to pose for me.

Thumbnail by pirl
Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

How true about posing for a pic!

Dr. Ruppel tries hard but isn't nearly as good at posing as 'Omoshiro'. Since May 1st I've kept 71 of the many photos I've taken of it.

Thumbnail by pirl
Ravenna, OH(Zone 5b)

Yes, they are forget-me-nots, I love those! They do spread around the rosebed but they are stil nice and short and don't overwhelm anything so I let them :)

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Kent. pirl, Omoshiro clem. is drop-dead gorgeous!

I hope you all don't mind, I have a question; where is the best sort of mail order for some double blooming clematis? I like a pink, and perhaps one like Kent's post above.

Kent, I'm new to 'Forget-me-Not'. They must be perennial there for you? I planted some (several weeks ago) but it's in a clump like fashion, should I thin them out?

Thanks. Omoshiro is definitely my personal favorite.

Any place that sells clematis, like Bluestone, Brushwood, Donahue's, Garden Crossings and Silver Star Vinery, sell doubles as well as singles. I don't know of any nursery that only sells doubles.

You can search for doubles by using Google and searching for:
Clematis on the Web

They have a search engine and if you just specify doubles you're bound to find some you like.

You can also use Plant Files. Find the ones you like and you'll see a note at the left side of the screen regarding vendors who carry it.

Ravenna, OH(Zone 5b)

They are perennial here. They also start out in a clump-like fashion, but they seed very easily after blooming, so that is why they look like they spread. They seed very easily and produce daughter plants around the bed. Eventually I'll probably have to thin them out but not now lol!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks pirl and Kent for your reply.

Clarksville, MD

I think this one is Artic Queen.
Once again the tag is missing.
Where do they go?

Thumbnail by rileyobo
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Those are beautiful!

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Rileyobo - I stated putting those tags in a notebook in those plastic baseball card and business card holders that come in pages. You can get them at any office supply store. I used to loose tags all the time but this method has helped me keep them all in one place where I can read them without removing them.
But I admit, I still lose a few that don't make it to the notebook. :-(

This message was edited May 27, 2010 2:10 AM

(Carisa) Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

mstish, I do exactly the same thing, LOL! Great minds think alike :) I mix in the different size plastic card holders and also add in one of those plastic double-fold pocket folders into my 3-ring binder to hold misc bigger items. I also take out any plant tags that I have trouble growing, for one reason or another, and put them into the folder--that way I don't forget and try to buy them again! The ones that I have growing stay in the plastic card holders, but you do have to trim them a bit to fit nicely, but that is very easy to do. It really helps when you need to reference a tag, doesn't it?

Clarksville, MD

Great Idea.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

funnthsun - - I like the idea of saving the ones that don't do well. I have always just tosed them as the plant died ... and - as murphy insists, you betcha, I have bought a few of them again. AARRGG!!
What a great referenece this binder has become.

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

I almost bought Artic Queen. Here is a clematis purpurea climbing up a bee balm.

Thumbnail by LiliMerci

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.