Guardian Angel

Kansas City, MO

I have to share this. There are so many aspects to this hobby that are becoming apparent it just amazes me. I call myself Irisawe on here for good reason.

My irises have been blooming to levels I have not seen before this year. We had a very mild unusual Spring. One of my cultivars called Guardian Angel that I got from Keith Keppel several seasons back has been a case of "failure to thrive". It hadn't bloomed for me at all. Two weeks ago I checked it in the middle of a number of others and found a lifeless rhizome with my zinc Paw Paw tag right in front of it. It was a sad sight. I left the rhizome and the tag in place and held a little hope. I mean it could send up a new shoot, right? Maybe?

I decided to give up desiring to see it as I had previous anxiously anticipated the possibility each previous season.

Well, early in the morning on Saturday, we got a call my husband's mom had passed. It was no surprise. She was a wonderful mom and the next day was Mother's Day so it was nice it didn't happen a day later. In the evening I went through my garden and looked at what was left of iris she had brought from Oregan when she moved from there. She never knew the name but I believe they are Edith Wolford. A heavy muscular dog last Summer had severely trampled what we had of them and there were no stalks at all this Spring, possibly small fans coming up, little trace. I wanted so much for even one bloom of what she had brought back, just for a moment to enjoy what she enjoyed. Anyway, as I finished my evening walk through I went up the steps next to Bed A and Lo and behold there was a gorgeous pink iris blooming that took me totally by surprise. Well, I rushed over and took a look at where it had sprung from following the stalk to the ground fan, desperately wanting the name and found it was about 12 inches from the spent rhizome of Guardian Angel. Apparently, there was more increase than I had been aware of and what a special treat!! It is quite distinctive and I went to Dave's plantfiles and it matched perfectly. I told my husband about it and he wanted to see it. We shared a special moment looking it over and knowing God just loves to surprise us and send comfort when comfort is so needed.

Love to my iris buddies,

K(aka Irisawe)

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Very touching story. Thanks for sharing. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Bakersfield, CA

Ooh, I love Guardian Angel -- so glad yours appears to have survived!

Thumbnail by Betja
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Betja, Is mine GA? I have never found the name yet. Thanks BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Bakersfield, CA

Boy, I don't know -- I just don't know that much about the pinks. It sure could be. Anyone else?

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

That brought a tear to my eye. The Universe is open to all things for those who are willing to see . . . I hope it brought some measure of comfort to you and your husband to get that sign. I'm sorry for your loss.

Kathy

Kansas City, MO

Thanks Bev, there are so many wonderful blessed instances that have surrounded her passing. It is sooo comforting:

Betja, I am really thrilled to see that an increase that probably took place 2 seasons ago was quietly waiting to wow us in beauty and perfect timing. She looks like the first picture in plantfiles of GA. She has that hot pink color extra saturation at the edge that faded a little with the maturity of the bloom but still had an overall vibrance to the kind of pink it is.

Looks like a keeper to me!!

K

Kansas City, MO

Kathy,

Thank you for your kind thoughts. You are absolutely right. We BELEIVE and are constantly enjoying the blessings of that. We see things and experience things that we otherwise would pass by with little or no notice. That song by Aerospace, Wouldn't Want to Miss a Thing describes how we approach this precious walk. It is a supernatural adventure as much as we believe it to be. There is more that we cannot see with physical senses than there is that we can see with them. Limitless!!!
Jesus taught us all we know and is teaching more every day.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts,

K

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I don't know that song (or maybe I do know it, just not the title) - I'll have to have a listen. :-)

Kansas City, MO

Maybe it is, Don't Want to Miss a Thing. It expresses the passion of the knowing you are enjoying an experience with someone that will never be duplicated and is as precious as it gets. About fully knowing that and wanting to not miss a bit of it. Good stuff.

K

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh, yeah, I've heard this a million times and sung along to the chorus. Don't want to close my eyes. I don't want to fall asleep. Cause I don't want to miss a thing.

Kansas City, MO

That is it! So wrapped up that every detail is not to be missed. Good lyrics and thanks for sharing! The lyrics make my heart leap with joy. So good of you.

K

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Hearkens waaaay back to an earlier time, doesn't it?

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Iriswe that is so woderful. Thank you for sharing and I am so sorry or your loss. She is there with you in the garden.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.