Will these bloom this year?

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Does adenium have to be a certain size or maturity to produce blooms?

Thumbnail by froggie_adg
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

No I have a small one that bloomed last year.

By the way can you get into Cubits, I get in anything but them and they say I have Cookies turned off, but I dont

Fort Lauderdale, FL

message removed by sender

This message was edited Aug 23, 2010 9:59 PM

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

I logged into cubits and had no problem. If you get a chance to check out my pic of the yellow adenium I would love some insight on it. Its been yellow from the start and all others green. Albino?

(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN(Zone 7a)

I have one, too. They say they wont live, but I'm going to wait and see. Yes, they're albino. Years ago they killed white German Shepherd and Boxer pups because they were white, too.

I Africa they eat albino people! Been in the news lately. Anyway, I have some snow whiye seedlings that I don't expect to live, but yellow might have just enough chlorophyl.

Where in Cubits did you post, froggie?

coconut over there.

(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN(Zone 7a)

Mine's pink.

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

I havent posted anything yet. I enjoy reading the posts from everyone else. Im a hair stylist and a treatment we have for hair is made with chlorophyl I wonder if mixed in water and misted onto the leaves would help. Theres not any other chemicals in it besides water and protein.

I would guess that albino is albino, and there's no help. I'll go as on the Yahoo group...

Arlington, TX

If only I had chlorophyll...

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

If its doomed from the start then nothing to lose by trying.

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

I have alot of new growth on my babies. I misted with the chlorophyl onto my albino and it seems to be developing more green around the base of the crown. Maybe im just hopefull. Heres a pic.

Thumbnail by froggie_adg
Arlington, TX

It doesn't really look like an albino, its too yellow.
C

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I don't have any that color but in my last batch of seeds I have some that are almost red, will be interesting to see if they are any different.

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

It was alot lighter before I treated it with liquid chlorophyll. In the beginning it was very pale yellow. I saw a new leaf in the center of the crown this morning so it doing well. This is the before I treated it.

Thumbnail by froggie_adg
Arlington, TX

Ok, just wondering how would applying chlorophyll help it? Can they uptake it into the leaves for photosynthesis? I thought they made in special cells inside photosynthetic tissue?
C

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

I dont know I just tried something I thought may help. Its a pre-treatment for hair. It comes with a special perm I use in my salon. When someone said its albino I thought hmmmm. Its missing chlorophyll and survival rate of albinos is slim to none what the heck I tried it. There is a difference in color since I did that. The chemistry and intercellular transfer is a mystetry to me. I just misted it down real good ,soil as well, and prayed.

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

This is the same variety and planted at the same time.

Thumbnail by froggie_adg
New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

The one in the back I started raising after I read the 'Amazing Specimen' thread. Its been raised 3 times now.

Thumbnail by froggie_adg

That's a very pale seedling, but not a true albino. I've seen DRs that have yellow leaves, by nature.

Here's a pic of one that I am trying to graft onto another seedling. Totally white leaves. Often their stem is pinkish.

Thumbnail by
New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Since its not an albino its got a better chance right. I hate losing a baby. Heres a pic of one ive been raising trying to experiment with the roots. After I read a thread here I decided to see what would happen. It will take a long time to create a magnificent specimen but fun trying and worth the wait. Its just keeps getting taller though I wish it would fill out.

Thumbnail by froggie_adg
Arlington, TX

I am wondering how to get them to fill out also. I mail ordered 2 arabacum seedlings and they are quite tall with no branching. How or what can you do to make them "fatten" up as opposed to getting taller.
C

When the sap isn't 'running', when the plant is dormant, prune.

I was just reading an article about pruning Adeniums.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/562171048KDHZVJ

Arlington, TX

how do you prune when they haven't branched yet?
C

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the link it was informative.

I've read that Arabicum doesn't like to be pruned.

Are you giving them a little potash? That's for the caudex/roots. Fert should have the last number biggest. I haven't found a mix, a Miraclegrow yet, so I mix a spoon of superbloom and 1/2 spoon of potash in a gallon of water for feeding.

Fort Lauderdale, FL

message removed by sender

This message was edited Aug 23, 2010 9:59 PM

Arlington, TX

That sounds sort of scary! Mine are about 8 inches tall and about the diameter of a fat parsnip. I am not sure I am brave enough to cut off the caudex tip with no branches or leaves. Let me think about that and see how I feel next spring.
C

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

I went and found potash at my local garden center. I mixed Jacks Classic Bloom Boost (10-30-20) and potash now just waiting till dark to feed.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

If you have a Wal-Mart close by check them out, I was in our's yesterday and they have DR, realy nice ones, and a lot of them, all the same kind but with a LARG caudex, and some were blooming, and they were only $14 I did not buy any as I have so many seedlings as you can see.and this is only the small ones *S*

Thumbnail by kareoke

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.