Lupines. I just had to add them to my garden.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Just found this picture on the website, I think it is Wy. I saved it as my background to enjoy the blue flowers.

Thumbnail by kiseta
North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

evelyn- The red one is stunning.

kiseta- What a beautiful picture.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Rita!

It is a "cherry red". These are all from a mixture of Russell lupines from seed. I will start more. Maybe I should start some in fall and then they might bloom sooner as they did not bloom the first year that I planted them. They are not available locally at the nurseries. I have saved the seeds from the light pink and the medium pink. Actually I have saved seeds from the other one (medium pink with yellow) in case anyone wants to try them. Since they are from seed, I would not be sure that they will bloom the same color, but we will see....

This was edited to say that I have not yet collected the seeds from the darker one. If anyone wants to try the medium pink, I do believe I have enough seeds for a few trades. How many seeds should I put in each trade?

This message was edited Aug 4, 2011 2:46 PM

Things do not look good for the future of the Lupine Garden here. Either last fall or over the winter almost all the plants seem to have died. I do see one or two coming up but not much.

That is what happened last spring. I had limited return. But being stubborn I went and bough new plants and redid the Lupine garden. But if I can't get them to last more than the year they are planted this is not good. Don't know yet what I will do this year.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Rita ~ Did you not save any seeds from the ones that you gtrew?

Yes, I did. I have some that I picked but I haven't tried sowing any.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Glad to hear that Rita!

This message was edited Mar 24, 2012 9:17 PM

I am not a very good seed sower. It has to be easy seeds or I manage to mess it up. Like I will most likey just scatter the seeds there and hope for the best which is probably not what one is supposed to do.

Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

I soak mine two to three days and they usually germinate; but I lose most in the winter
too. They are just so beautiful!

That is why I just keep buying more plants. The lupines are stunnning in bloom. And if every single one died I would take it as a sign that I just can't grow them. But always mixed success, some die and some make it and come up the following spring. That means it gives me hope that I can establish them and I keep trying!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I loved the pictures of your popsicle garden. :)

Don't quit! They were/are exquisite.

I started some from seed Shirley sent and they were actually one of the first things that sprouted of all my "WS" seeds. They have great foliage and sturdy little things. I love the foliage. I have never grown them, not having had enough room. I was disappointed to find that they do not bloom the first year from seed. I would certainly be tempted like you to purchase the plants.

A.

They like most perennials will not be big enough plants first year from seed. And then most likely it will get too hot for them were you are and the plants will die. Mine mostly died. I have four small plants came up this spring. I will not be buying more this year as it is an expensive project for what turns out to be annuals. Instead I am spending lots of money on bulbs this year so don't want to spend too much. Instead I plant to get a flat of snapdragons and plant them there for this season, then we will see what I decide again next year. The really odd part is that I have lupines in another gardenbed over on the other side of the house and these come back nicely and are now on their third year here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.