Slugs in the compost bin

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

I emptied out my plastic compost bin and there were lots of very large slugs clinging to the wall. Do they serve a beneficial role? If so, I will get over my revulsion!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

I'd destroy them before they ruin the rest of your garden.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

There are native slugs that feed on rotting material & then there are the "imports" that are anywhere you don't want them to be.
The native slugs up here are striped & beneficial: I have yet to find one on a plant - they are always nearby on the soil... The plain black, brown or tan ones are imports. I'm not familiar with the slugs in other regions, but my guess is this holds true.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

I wonder if the imports feed on rotting material too

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

yes, but their preference is for fresh plants, not old funky leaves/stems/flowers.
I grow lots of Asters - literally hundreds of slugs will be all over them, but never do i find a stripy guy.This holds true for other plants. Many gardeners in the wetter areas of the Pacific NW have noticed this as well.
I have found both in the compost, though. So I don't have issues with them being in there. i look for their eggs when I spread the compost, in hopes of keeping the numbers down.
They do serve a purpose, but not ON my plants!

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

My ultimate dislike for slugs came the other day when I found one in the hollow center of a strawberry I was about to pop in my mouth!

YUCK!

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

double YUCK!

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

good thing you weren't hasty about eating it...

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

It's made me check the center of every strawberry since. So far not found others. I keep wondering how many I may have inadvertently eaten before :(

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Strawberry Escargo............sounds good.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

lol!

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Strawberry es-car-Go throw up!

With a pinch of sea salt.....for the critters. Rolled in sugar for the berry. Protein berries on muffins. Absolutely a delight served with raw chilled goats milk. Whipped goats cream for the topping. For the ultimate in taste sensations chill to a soft freeze a bit crunchy.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

If slugs were indeed edible, no doubt we humans would consume so many of them that they would soon be on the endangered species list.

For all I know, they are edible. Anyone know for sure? Not that I plan to add them to my dinner menu anytime soon LOL

Slugs are indeed edible. I prefer to run them through a chicken or duck first. It would take a good amount of mind over mater for me to eat slugs with my salad. I have eaten a grand sum total of two or three small ones mostly to tease and test the internal fortitude of friends. Like most folks I flush the lettuce with cold water to wash them out of the lettuce. I do not worry should one be eaten with the lettuce.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

My mother would always put salt in the water when she washed vegeatables - said it would flush out the slugs.

I'm sure I've (unknowingly) eaten a slug or two in my lifetime.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.