canna macrorhizza.. how do you plant them?

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

here in utah its sort of spring.. were suppose to get snow..again..sigh..
ive grown the big cannas now for 3 yrs.. my rhysomes are super this yr..
ive always planted them in pots(big ones) grown them out to good size..then transplanted them into
garden.. this yr.. the roots are so huge.. i was going to plant them in temporary greenhouse right in the
garden..then dig and put them where i want them..
then thinking again.. do the rest of you rethink things too?? :) thought..maybe i'll just put them directly
into place where i want them..
last 2 yrs..my oldest plants have flowered..and got really tall..
dont know if it has to do with starting early..or just lucky ..or lucky long summer..
what are others thoughts...? thanks..

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

I have 4 cannas that I've grown last year, and another 11 canna's that I received in swaps this year.. I also have 10 different types in seeds.. Ya i have a canna obsession.. The ones i grew last year I planted 2 or 3 rhizomes from each (i broke them apart in the fall) in a little clump, the ones that I swapped for I only have 1 or 2 of each, so those also went in the ground.. I planted them where they will stay for the summer.. The seeds however I started in Tupperware containers until there a bit bigger.. I'm in zone 6b and our weather this year is very early, we about a month ahead of where we should be as for gardens.. My cannas one at a time are slowly starting to come up..
I would just plant them right in the ground once any sign of frost is gone, and just let them grow.. LOL I also rethink things over and over, finally i made a layout that i could live with and liked.. Needless to say nothing ended up planted where i had planned lol...
jen

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

hi jen.. ive been leaning the way of just planting where i want them.. last yr i planted some big rhyzomes into really good enriched garden soil.. but
when came time to transplant them to where i wanted them..i ended up needing help just to lift the soil around the roots and the plants.. lol
i think as you said is way to go.. for my backs sake.. LOL
i have some really good coir..and compost i'll enrich area for them..and let them go for it.. :)
as long as i keep them watered well..and regular fertilized.. they should get huge..
they will be going in area of full sun for most of the day.. so soil should get warm soon..so seems like
were behind typical temps here.
we may get snow here in provo.. sigh...:( it wont last..but snow..:(
what do you fertilize your cannas with up there??
thanks jen for your insights...
dave

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

Last year i had a truck load of dirt brought in mixed with sand and manure. However we were just building the garden and it was cheaper then buying bags or soil.. Through out the season I only ever use miracle grow.. I water almost daily, with a good amount of water, and they just took off last year.. I dont know if the dirt had anything to do with it or not.. This year the same soil is down but we wont be bringing in any more more.. Last year I grew a banana canna from seed and one from a rhizome i received.. The seed canna was in mostly clay soil and part shade, and it flowered.. The rhizome was in full sun and manure soil, however it didn't flower, but it did multiply like crazy..
Thats the problem with moving cannas is they get so big under grown that it just makes it hard, I would just plant them where they will stay..
jen

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Thanks for the info on this thread, as I am just starting with cannas for the first time, so love all the helpful info. Can you tell me how long it took for your seeds to germinate? And did you do anything special with the seeds? Thanks! And hope you don't mind me butting in.

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

Skellogg, I nick the seeds with a big pair of nail clippers in a few spots, so i can see the white part.. (not to much though) I then soak them in luke warm water over night, you will see the seeds start to swell then there ready.. I have planted them right in the ground before, but this time I opted to plant them in Tupperware containers.. I have read that they can take 10-30 days to start to grow.. I have seen one this time in 7 days, however some never came up.. I also read somewhere that they can stay dormant for years (this is why we nick them, the shell is water proof) As for the soil, I dont really follow what is best, it more what i have.. I have planted seeds in mostly clay soil they did great, also in top soil with manure and sand also great, then the seeds in potting soil and they seem to be doing good too...
hope that helps
jen

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Thanks Jen, helps a bunch! Did you use any kind of heat mat? I can't wait to get started with seeds now.

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

This year we have had above average weather and I started them outdoors in april.. Thats why there in the containers so i could move them if any frost.. Which I had to do a few times.. Now that we have had off and on rain for almost 2 weeks, they have been under my gazebo so they dont get to wet.. I dont mind watering them and no need to have them flooded.. Last year I didn't start them outside till the end of may, and then i just planted them in the ground.. I have read on this canna forum somewhere about people using mats, and lights to start them indoors.. They seem to have a good growth rate too..
jen

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Thanks Jen. Glad to know that I don't have to have mats and lights and all that, as just starting with seeds and didn't want to have to buy all that stuff! Great news, and thanks again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.