beans as worm food? wont give them gas will it...lol

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

gleaned alot from many here..on vermiculture.. thanks tons.. mine ( 4 bins) are making alot of castings..and
they will be super additives to my planting this yr..
question.. i come into fair amount of dried beans during the yr.. theyre vegys..legumes.. has anyone rehydrated
dried beans and given them to their worms??
hope to hear some good thoughts on this.. thanks

Hi there, sorry for the long wait for a response-it's spring, and I guess we are all outside:>)
Worms eat what is rotting, so as long as those beans will spoil, they will eat them, I'm pretty sure.
Good luck,

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

thanks ... soaked a bunch of beans..cooked them..and ive let them set for couple days.. i'll rinse them..they are moderately soft..
guess the protein in the beans will make my euro worms super worms from all that protein..LOL.. i'll have to be careful when feeding them
after that they dont go after me.. :) lol
always looking for thoughts from others with more experience in vermiculture.. thanks for your thoughts..

Savannah, GA

Cooking the dried beans briefly before adding to the worm bin is a great way to use your beans. Once I made the mistake of adding dried northern beans directly into the bin. Apparently there was enough moisture in the bin to start the growth process and when I inspected the worm bin a few days later it packed full of sprouts! What a surprise that was.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.