White Aphid Sighting...

Westborough, MA(Zone 5b)

I saw a white aphid scurrying away from the mulch around my lilac when watering it and another on one of my wild hydrangeas. While 2 aphids is hardly a major outbreak, I am hoping to nip aphid problems in the bud this year. I want to avoid any chemical pesticides and am wondering about two things:

1)If anyone has tried organic/natural methods that have either worked well or not so well.
2)If anyone knows of where I can purchase native ladybugs (I've heard that is a good remedy but that the Asian ones are potentially invasive and would like to support a native habitat--I've had not luck finding specifically native lady bugs though)

Thumbnail by runnerboy713
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Personally I'm a big fan of hosing them off--occasionally I'll use some insecticidal soap on the ones the hose doesn't get but the combination of those two (hose & soap) has always worked for me. They're not really that hard to kill--the trouble with them is they reproduce very quickly so if you don't stay on top of them and repeat the hosing or soaping every couple of days, the population will build right back up again. But if you stay on top of them that method can be effective.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I agree. Hosing them off works really well. I have a rose that attracts THOUSANDS of them when it leafs out in spring. I use a sharp spray of water - it's really satisfying to knock them off. It's my first step, and in most cases it is enough if done a few days in a row. I would really encourage this approach - completely organic, effective, and cheap.

I also agree that insecticidal soap works well. You do need to hit them directly.

On the non-organic level, which is hopefully the last resort, acephate works well (Ortho Systemic Insect Killer). I have lots of japanese anemones, with thousands of leaves, and they would come back repeatedly after spraying and insecticidal soap and I would get a tremendous amount of sooty mold on the leaves. One application of this took care of it.

Ecrane is on the money on the population. Female aphids can reproduce in the absence of males - they simply reproduce themselves. In addition, here's a clip from an article about the rate:

"Each of the many aphid species has its own life cycle, but there are some features uniting nearly all of them. One feature most species share is that they are incredibly prolific. Wingless adult female aphids can produce 50 to 100 offspring. A newly born aphid becomes a reproducing adult within about a week and then can produce up to 5 offspring per day for up to 30 days! The French naturalist Reaumur during the late eighteenth century calculated that if all the descendants of a single aphid survived during the summer and were arranged into a French military formation, four abreast, their line would extend for 27,950 miles, which exceeds the circumference of the earth at the equator! "

So you see what your 2 can do!

Donna

Donna

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Except that's not an aphid. Aphids don't "scurry". And has anyone ever seen just ONE aphid. Doesn't happen.

Looks like it might be the nymph of a leaf hopper. In any case, I wouldn't do anything at all.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Good point ceejay. They really don't move very much. And no, I've NEVER seen ONE aphid - LOL!

Westborough, MA(Zone 5b)

Haha...as Donna said, good point...I haven't seen any more since so it might just be that.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Ah, the best news of all!

Westborough, MA(Zone 5b)

The less good news...I now definitely have real aphids on a rose bush and my trumpet honeysuckle...time to get to work and do some damage with the hose! Quick question...so blasting them off with the hose kill them or just displace them?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

They have very soft bodies, so if you hit them with a strong jet it should kill them. If you've got a really bad infestation I find the hose helpful to get rid of most of them, then follow up with insecticidal soap for any that you missed with the hose. Keeping after them until you're sure they're gone is the key thing though--you'll almost never get all of them on the first shot and they reproduce very quickly so you've got to keep an eye on the plant every day or two and hose/soap any new ones that show up.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I do what Ecrane says and it works perfectly. And I understand that once knocked down they don't seem to have the ability to get back up. Is that your understanding, Ecrane? I have one rose - the hybrid perpetual Enfant de France - that leafs out March in my garage and ends up with thousands of aphids - it's really disgusting. They zero in on it because it's the only game in town this time of year this far north. I spray them with water (nice sharp spray), come back a couple of hours later and do it again, and check every couple of days.

Looking at the rose, you would never know that they had been there. I really like your advice because I used to think I needed a chemical (acephate) and now I know that it's unnecessary.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

They don't get back up after they're blasted because they're dead :) Aphids have soft bodies and are easily squished--a strong jet of water from the hose packs quite a lot of force so it's enough to squish them. Maybe there are a few on the very edge of the jet that just get washed off rather than squished, but I think most of them are dead. For me it's a lot less time consuming (not to mention cheaper) to hose most of them off rather than trying to coat the whole plant in insecticidal soap. Plus you'd want to wash the dead ones off the plant afterwards anyway, so you're killing two birds with one stone by hosing them off in the first place.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL! Yes, good point, it's hard to get up when you're no longer breathing.

Sometimes I spray and they appear to be clinging. I think I'm seeing squished ones that are smashed against my plant, and it will take several hosings to dislodge them. But I think you are right. They've croaked..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.