Browning of leaves on Sweet Virburnum

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

My virburnums have developed a leaf problem in the last week and, whatever it is, is spreading fast. They were planted in early January 2010 and are properly watered. There are no insects on the plants or in the soil. The backs of the leaves look okay except for the brown part. One reason I chose virburnums is that they are resistant to pests and fungus but I think it's one or the other.

Please help me identify the problem.

Thanks.

Problem solved.

This message was edited May 14, 2010 6:42 PM

Thumbnail by Daddysbug
The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

What was the answer?

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

I went to The Arbor Gate in Tomball and talked to the owner. She said that it is a fungus that could be caused by too much mulch, too much water, or not enough circulation around the plants. For my problem , it was all of these.

Steps:
1) Pull the mulch away deep enough to see the roots and let them dry out.

2) Water them less that the other plants in my yard (thank goodness they are all planted in a grouping without other plants!).

3) Spray with Fertilome Triple Action Plus which I already had.

I am considering letting them grow into trees so that their leaves will be above the fence. They would grow into trees if left on their own, anyway. This would eliminate the circulation problem.

The Arbor Gate is my go-to place to get information that I can trust. It's a quite a drive for me but I make an adventure out of it and visit the boutique stores in Tomball while I am there.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.