How much longer?

Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

How long do these little albino adeniums normally live until they perish from the inability to photosynthesize? This little one has started its second set of leaves, the ones I have had in the past have never made it that far.

Thumbnail by PurePlants
Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

Graft it into a stronger seedling or established plant, she may live.
Ive had good results grafting seedings to larger plants.

Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

Hmm... I have ZERO experience with grafting, although I have read a lot about it... I guess it couldn't hurt to try....

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

Its going to die anyway so get busy ;)

Arlington, TX

How will grafting help? If you use the albino stem and graft onto a reg. rootstock the plant still won't make chlorophyll?
C

Side by side. I have one that's not doing much, but not dying, either. Plant the albino right up against a green seedling. Shave a bit off each stem so that they'll touch, and tie them together with thread, chopped parts touching. For thread, I used threads from an old piece of cotton cloth that was ravelling. Softer than new sewing thread. Use an exacto knive, or, well, what I did was whack a throw-away razor with a hammer to free up part of the SHARP blade, ouch, my thumb. I know better than to play with razor blades.

This little experiment will show you how shaky your hands are!!!! And I used the strongest magnifying glasses from the grocery store rack, and wanted more magnification.

OR find a drill bit that's the exact size of the seedling, drill a hole in a big DR and insert the chopped off seedling. I haven't seen this or tried it. Yet.

The 'parent' plant has to be a regular plant with leaves and all, to support the albino.

Have fun, hahaha! Oh, this photo was taken right after I did the dirty deed. Since then the green one has turned its' leaves up.

Thumbnail by
Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

Well, I think that is interesting. I am going to give it a try...

Bloom of the day...

Thumbnail by PurePlants

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.