Purple ninebark- good form? pruning?

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Purple ninebark is about three years old out of the pot here. The last year's branches are long and graceful and covered wih bloom now. Then newer growth is coming from the center, upright, and not blooming. Should I prune at all after bloom? I would not mind if it gets fuller. If I give it a vertical cut of half the length of those long blooming branches, will it look terrible? or just fill up again with the new growth as it extends and arches over? Or/ and, should I be taking out older branches from the base?

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I'd prune very lightly for structure after blooms and then in the fall prune harder for better over-all structure/shape. They can get a bit lanky.

I took this pic of Dart's Gold on the left & Diabolo on the right the other day and thought it was a bit interesting. 1 gallon size.

Thumbnail by growin

eye popping and great.
I love the arching, spirea like look but appreciate the lanky warning. I wish I had an elevated space to make better use of those branches.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

That's interesting. I don't prune my Ninebark at all. I have the species Ninebark, Diablo, Dart's Gold, and Coppertina. I do like the lighter look and it provides great habitat for the birds. I know some people think that Diablo looks kind of 'spider' if left unpruned and they will cut it back to the ground once established. But I also like the bark.

It's one of my favorite shrubs and doesn't need any care at all here.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

I have Summer Wine, Dart's Gold and Coppertina. I don't touch mine. I like the way they look naturally. However, I don't know what they'll be like when they get more years on them.

I wouldn't fret at all if I had a nice wide bed for it. I put it in a narrow spot (idiotic). I didn't have much free space when I got it, just on a whim on sale. I guess I could embark on one of those-- move this then move that then the other thing goes there -- plantmoving marathons , and find a better place for it. Preferably with a light background or under layer to show it off.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

It has a pretty wide spread (6+ feet) - if you're not going to prune it regularly to keep it small (i.e. cut it back to the ground), then I'd replace it with something smaller . . .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.