HUGE Bloom!

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

I have never had an iris or seen as large as the one that bloomed in my garden last week. The stalk is 44" tall and the bloom is 7" tall. An oldie I am sure, but does anyone recognize it? Surely there aren't that many that grow that big.
Deb

This message was edited May 7, 2010 9:08 AM

Thumbnail by estrail1rider
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

That is gorgeous! I love how droopy the older ones are and I love white, so clean and crisp!

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

I love the older ones with the long droopy Falls too. I think they are so pretty and that is a beautiful white. I wonder if you go to the HAS site on histirics if it would be there or you could ask PollyK.

I meant AIS SITE. Sorry. Can't see the keys very well.

This message was edited May 11, 2010 9:14 AM

Milwaukee, WI(Zone 5a)

LOVE THAT ONE!! IF YOU FIND OUT WHAT IT IS PLEASE LET ME KNOW REALLY NEED THAT ONE ITS BEAUTIFUL !!!

South Hamilton, MA

Check plant files for 'Gudrun'. It is a common historic. If you can't find it, I have no other suggestion.

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

I have been going through the photos of the historics on HIPS. I looked at "Jake" as a possible for a different white iris but found that wasn't it. Jake is described as being very large so I will check that one out again. It has a gorgeous dark blue bloom and is equally large!.
Deb

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I have a light purple one like that.. huge bloom! floppy flower... interesting and beautiful

Cherryvale, KS

It kind of looks like Dreamy. I used to have it but got rid of it 2 years ago. It had no substance and was droopy pretty quick.

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

I checked Dreamy. It should be heavily crinkled and this one isn't. I cut one the wind had blown over and took it to my DIL mother and I saw it a few days later and it still looked great.

Milwaukee, WI(Zone 5a)

Well its beautiful it just has such a time gone by elegance about it!! Like time stood still I' really love it.!!!!!!..............

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

This may sound dumb but when I first saw the photo it reminded me of those Easter Island monuments:lol: Now I really need to pick up a few of the older iris!

Boise, ID(Zone 5b)

It sure looks like one of the irises that the Sass brothers introduced in the 1920's and 1930's.

There might be something, somewhere on Hans and Jacob Sass that has their irises with photos.

Good Luck.

Elba, NY(Zone 6a)

I think I might have a hit. Check out Zua on the Bluebird Haven Irises site.

http://www.bluebirdhavenirisgarden.com/siteV2/catalog.html

I almost ordered it this year because it really caught my eye and is on my list to order for next year. Sure looks like yours in my opinion!

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

I ordered about 30 more historics this year which will bring my total of named ones to around 78. One of the guys at HIPS said they thought it was Moonlight. i HAVE TO CHECK HERE (i AM CURRENTLY AT OUR NEW HOUSE THAT WE ARE ALMOST READY TO MOVE TO) please excuse caps) and one of the rhizomes has 9 new ones on it!!! At our present house I usually only get one ot two per year! It is one of my historics but will have to go check the name. We don't have a computer here yet so I have to come to the library.
Quite a few of my other oldies have big increases, too.
debbie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.