iris with 5 falls

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

A few mornings ago I came outside and saw this unusual iris bloom. As it was opening I saw that it had 4 falls instead of the usual 3. What I didn't realize at the time was that it actually had 5 falls (the one on the top right hadn't decended yet) When I got home from work later in the day I was amazed to see all the gorgeous falls on one flower. It still had the normal 3 standards on top. I am more familiar with polytepals in daylilies - which don't happen too often but still aren't considered rare. But I don't think I have ever seen this in an iris before. But I'm sure those of you with tons of iris have seen this. In daylilies it is called 'polymerousl'. What is this called in the iris world?

Here it was as I saw it at first...

This message was edited May 6, 2010 8:51 AM

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Later the same day I took this photo after the last fall had relaxed. Unfortunately I lost the marker with the name of this cultivar. Late last summer I moved all of my iris to better locations, and as careful as I thought I was, I still missplaced a few of the markers - grrr. You can never be too careful lol.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

Whatever it is, it's gorgeous!

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks Maxsmomma - I will look through my pictures from a few years ago and see if I can identify it.

Another question has occured to me... are there any iris hybridizers breeding specifically for iris with extra falls? (there are a few in the daylily world)

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

maxsmomma,

that is a beautiful iris! if you every figure out the name of it, please post it!

erika

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Hi erika this is lilyfantn and that is from my garden. I just looked through my photos from a few years ago and it is XANTHIPPE'S HALO.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks lilyfantn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.