Help me identify this Azalea Please

Penfield, PA(Zone 5b)

This bush is growing on my families property. In the 10 years or more that we have owned the property, no one has ever pruned, fertilized or watered this bush. It is perfectly shaped and absolutely beautiful EVERY YEAR. I would love to find one for my grandmother to plant at her place. I do intend on trying to root some cuttings or do some "layering"?, but would love to buy an established bush instead. Does anyone know the name of this azalea? Here is a view of the whole plant.

Thumbnail by thelittleflower
Penfield, PA(Zone 5b)

Here is a close-up of the flowers.

Thumbnail by thelittleflower
Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

That plant is absolutely the most beautiful plant I ever saw. Who knew they could look like that? Hopefully soeone will respond to you with the correct name. Thanks for posting it.

Almere, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

The property we bought also has bushes very much like that. They are just covered in the spring. Are the leaves on that bush very tiny, say 1/2" or so (with new growth being even smaller)? Is it evergreen? If both of those are "yes" it may be the same as ours, which is "Hino Crimson," at least tentatively identified. The color of bushes sold under that name seems to vary, but the form is similar. Maybe it's a variable variety.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

I do not think it is HC. Hino Crimson blooms are more red than the pink-magenta color that I see on the picture.

Kurume shrubs all have little leaves as Centaurea describes (that is how I ended with my first Hino Crimson to begin with; I liked the look of the shrub with those little leaves).

Dayton, OH

littleflower, I agree with mableruth, that plant is very beautiful. I hope you find out what it is.

This message was edited Jun 12, 2011 10:27 PM

Guntersville, AL(Zone 7b)

This azalea could be "Purple Splendor" which would be hardy in your zone. Hopefully, you did some air layers; moist un-milled sphagnum wrapped around a branch, cover with plastic and twist tie should root out in four - five months. Take cuttings around late July to early August and they should root in 6 to 8 weeks. Beautiful plant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.