Question : Growing dinner plate dahlias in a huge pot

Littleton, CO

Hi,

I bought the dinner plate dahlia collection from the Swan Island Dahlias. I have 3 huge pots that are approximately 20 inches in diameter and 19 inches in height. I was wondering whether I can use these 3 pots to plant these 5 dahlia tubers. Will dahlias do well in big pots?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Keesh

Boise, ID

I'd imagine you'd want no more than one tuber per container, but I think they would be big enough for a plant per pot. I'd probably buy a sturdy 4 ft. stake to throw in each pot as well.

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 10a)

They should be fine, as long as you give support and allow for good drainage, etc. Seems to me, the dinnerplates actually end up shorter in height than a lot of others. Could be just the varieties I have, but most are really no taller than 3.5'-4.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I agree about just one per pot and with the idea of sturdy stakes.

Many of mine never get as tall as stated but as long as they bloom it's fine with me.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Chiming in for one per pot as well. Yes they grow just as well in a pot as in the garden. Watering needs extra attention, esp. on hot days.

Search the ADS site for "growing dahlias in pots" to find a good article that might help you.
Never mind, here it is! Good luck with your new dahlias.
http://www.dahlia.org/index.php?page=growing-dahlias-in-pots

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Ditto: one per pot. I use a potting mix with polymer crystals mixed with my compost in my containers which helps with the watering issue when it gets hot. It does make a bizarro clear jello on top of the soil when there is a big rain though.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.