Wow! My Proteus is amazing this year!!

Jeffersonville, IN(Zone 6b)

She is so gorgeous this year with her double, triple and single blooms!! I am so glad the rain over the weekend didn't ruin her blooms. :)

Thumbnail by indiana_lily

One more picture. I really need to string her up and around my mailbox! LOL!!

Thumbnail by indiana_lily
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I've never seen a Proteus as wonderful as yours. It's a beauty!

Thanks Pirl. :)
Did nothing special, no fertilizer last year, very cold winter this year, but she's definitely thriving!

Unless mine looks 50% as good as yours you can bet I won't be posting a photo!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Gorgeous!!..I've had mine for 5 years and never have I had a double..I am beginning to think they need that cold spell to produce doubles..congrats..Jeanne

Zuzu gets Proteus in double form and she's in zone 8 in California so it is a puzzle as to how or why it happens. I get first blooms with a mix of doubles and singles. Maybe it's the genes.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I'm glad to find this thread indiana_lily. I think I may have a 'Proteus'. Though, the Flowers tried to spike a double this year. May I ask how old is yours? Mine is 4-5 years of age. This is the first year it tried to form double as appose to single in past year. They look very much like the one on the very most bottome on your pix above.

Mine is about 4 or 5 years old, too. Funny, it doesn't seem to grow very tall, but instead is very bushy.
Thanks much for all the compliments!! I think this is one of the most neglected plants in my yard. Maybe it likes to be ignored? :) And, maybe it does like a cold snap. We had some warm weather earlier this year, then we got a cold snap, and then it's slowly gotten warmer again, so there could be something to that.

Bump. Mainly because I love indiana_lily's photo of Proteus and wanted everyone to be reminded of it.

Dayton, OH

Very pretty Clematis indiana_lily

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.