Valdese, NC(Zone 7a)

When I first started purchasing TBs last year I bought 5-10 from Spring Hill before I realized there were better places to be purchasing them. This TB was supposed to be Broken Record. Obviously it is not Broken Record. It is blooming now with my late bloomers. It is on the taller side. I looked around online. It appears to be either Grape Snakez or Gnu's Flash. I have looked at several photos, and can't figure out which one. If anyone is familiar with them, and could tell me which one I have it would be appreciated.

I have 5 photos.

Thumbnail by Flower_addictnc
Valdese, NC(Zone 7a)

2nd pic

Valdese, NC(Zone 7a)

3rd

Valdese, NC(Zone 7a)

4th

Valdese, NC(Zone 7a)

last

Kansas City, MO

Gnu's Flash.

K

Cherryvale, KS

I'm posting my Gnus Flash

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Bakersfield, CA

I don't know about Grape Snakez, but the standards on Gnus Flash open up too far for my taste and I think that's one way of ID-ing it. Nicky's picture of Gnus Flash shows the open standards, and that's why my sister gave it away. So if the standards on yours don't open that way, I'd say it's definitely not Gnus Flash.

Gainesville, TX

Springhill is not my friend. I have the one you pictured, they sent it as Elainalope, may or may not be. My daughter sent me an order from them last year as a gift. Sorry product.

South Hamilton, MA

Go to zebrairis.com & see pictures posted by the hybridizer. It might help ID.

Valdese, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks guys. That is where I went to Zebra Iris Gardens first, then over to PlantFiles. That is how I figured it had to be one of the two. Almost every picture of the same cultivators look different though. It is a beautiful iris, and growing very well. Those two cultivators look so similar I may not be able to figure it out. Oh well, amazingly that is the only iris out of the order from SH that wasn't true to name. They all grew as well as my Schreiner TBs. The only TB that didn't grow well this year was Midnight Oil. I heard that can be a picky TB though. I think I got lucky when it came to SH for TBs.

Valdese, NC(Zone 7a)

This was the problem I ran into earlier....judging from the Zebra Iris Garden's site it looks exactly Grape Snakez. From the wider white stripes on the darker purple falls, with the darker tan/gold standards, that have the same purple specks at the top of the standards, and the form is almost identical to mine.

http://www.zebrairis.com/2009%20GRAPE%20SNAKEZ%20PAGE.htm

http://www.zebrairis.com/2009%20GNUS%20FLASH.htm

However, when you get to PlantFiles to look at photos submitted almost every photo looks different even within the same cultivator!

South Hamilton, MA

Trust Brad's (Zebra) pictures. They are his plants after all.

Cherryvale, KS

My picture of Elainalpe!! Don't you just hate it when things aren't right!! I'm sure that I'm not always 100%! Happy Thursday BIF's!

Thumbnail by NickysIris

Here is my Grape Snakez I bought from Shreiner in 2008

Thumbnail by

Same iris different view.

Thumbnail by
Bakersfield, CA

You know, my sister's Gnus Flash was really more of a beige and purple combo. I do not remember that much yellow in the standards.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.