First Clematis Bloom from Seed

Marietta, MS(Zone 7b)

About 5 years ago I got some clematis seeds from the lady who lives next to the P.O. Her clematis had huge, white blooms. So, I was very surprised to see my very first bloom! :)

ants

Thumbnail by antsinmypants
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Any idea what the name of this plant is? It's beautiful. Is it a type 2 or 3?

Marietta, MS(Zone 7b)

Thank you. It doesn't have a name. I grew it from seed. The seeds I planted were from a clematis with large, white blooms. Don't know how it turned out this color. I have never pruned it, but I would guess that it is probably a group 2 clematis.

ants

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

how long did it take to grow from a seed? How did you keep it - inside all year or just after frost?

Marietta, MS(Zone 7b)

Didn't take long to grow from seed, but took about 5 years to bloom. I winter sowed them into an 8 inch flower pot & then burried that flower pot up to the rim into a very large flower pot & then just left them be outside. I have never brought them in.

This one is one of three that I got to grow from seed. One of the others was going to bloom but I accidentally broke it while trying to train it & the other still hasn't bloomed.

I was fully expecting a white bloom since the parent plant was white. Can't wait to see if the others will be different.

ants

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

It's very pretty Ants! In the photo it looks lavender with a pink wash laid on it. Very Nice.

Marietta, MS(Zone 7b)

Thank you :) The picture is very true to the color.

ants

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

That's a real beauty with the contrasting stamens ants :)
I even feel inspired to have a go! Will be interesting to see how your others turn out

Marietta, MS(Zone 7b)

Thank you :) It's inspired me to try more! Also want to kick myself for not planting ALL of them instead of just 3 :)

ants

Dayton, OH

ants, I like your Clematis that you grew from seed, I think I will try it after all.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.