Mother bunny is dead: please help me

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

How can I help the little bunnies survive? What can I feed them or do for them?

Mother and little ones lived under our shed and there is enough room that I could put in a saucer of milk, carrots (cut up), lettuce, etc. They are small, I saw one outside last week. I'd guess they are the size of a small cantaloupe.

I'm distressed. I don't like it when they eat my lilies but I can spray and fear they cannot fend for themselves.

Thanks.

Marlton, NJ

Here is a link- http://www.earthskids.com/babybunnies.aspx

I'll be back with more.

Another- http://www.2ndchance.info/bunnies.htm

This message was edited May 4, 2010 12:55 PM

Thank you so much, pelletory. The little one I saw last week did have a full coat of hair so I guess, from your second link, it will forage for itself and survive. I still feel the need to do "something" so I guess I'll push a big saucer of water under the shed.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

pirl,

Having been in a similar situation (different species though), I can so feel your distress.

I put out carrots, green peas, lettuce, and such in the flower garden one year when I had a [grown] bunny living and dining out there. It never seemed to touch any of the vegetables I offered it though.

As for your little bunnies, probably the best thing you could do for them or any orphaned wildlife is to get in touch with your local state licensed wildlife rehabber. My state DNR site has a list of our rehabbers. The list includes name, location, species they handle, and contact info. You might try looking online to see if your state posts a similar list. You can also usually get such information by calling area veterinarians and veterinary hospitals.

Licensed wildlife rehabbers really know the species with which they work. They can advise you as to whether the baby rabbits can make it on their own or if they will need help. If the rehabber thinks the baby rabbits will need help, she/he will probably take them in and care for them, releasing them again when they are old enough.

Thanks, Dream. I did slide a large saucer of water under the shed. In the past I've offered rabbits lettuce and carrot shavings but they, too, went untouched. A niece, who used to raise them, said they'll be fine as long as they have their fur/hair. I am relieved.

Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

If they are the size of cantaloupe, they are already weaned and eating on their own. Wild rabbits prefer grass, clover and forage to carrots and will seldom eat domestic rabbit pellets. They also rarely drink water, they get the water from the grass they eat and dew.

As far as milk goes, they require goat milk or puppy formula, I use an all species formula based on goat milk. In a pinch, diluted canned milk will do. The cannot digest regular cows milk. Of all the animals I rehab, baby bunnies are the hardest unless they have their eyes already open. They arre difficult to feed and give you no warning that they are going to be dead the next time you check them. I always say that God makes them so cute so we don't pinch their little heads out of frustration.

A mother cottontail kindles in a nest built in a shallow depression in the grass. She only visits them for a few minutes at a time, a couple of times a day. The babies grab on and eat fast. Their eyes open at about 8 to 10 days and are eating grass at about 2 to 2 1/2 weeks old. She continues to nurse foir several days after that. In order to digest the cellulose they consume some of the mother rabbit's feces (yup. Thats poop!) By the time they are six weeks old, they can be on their own and mom is getting ready for the next batch. (There is merrit to the old saying "breed like rabbits")

Ok, that's the wildlife rehab lesson of the day.

Thanks. I'll remove the water and add grass tomorrow.

The bunny did have his/her eyes open when I saw it so I wish it well. The mother is now buried in our little plot for birds, ducks, rabbits and our own dogs (cremated).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.