fertilizing dahlias

Portland, OR

My dahlias are sprouting and they are a very light green.... shouldn't they be a dark green? I hear that nitrogen causes too much rapid growth, but is sure looks like they need it. Has anyone used the Complete Organic Fertilizer (COF) in Steve Soloman's book? I like to mix my own non-synthetic fertilizers since I have all the basic bulk materials.

thanks

anne

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

A photo of the leaves would be a big help.

I just give them compost and, if I have it, a handful of Super Phosphate as I plant them.

Portland, OR

Hi pirl

If it ever stops raining, I will take a photo and post it.

During a rain break two days ago, I sprinkled a little "Nature's Intent" around a few of them. Nature's Intent is a great organic fertilizer I buy in bulk here for all my container plants and it does a beautiful job.

wish me luck.

Good luck!

Boise, ID

I just got a random email this past weekend from the guy at Old House Dahlias this is what he had to post.

"I have become a big fan of using year old dairy manure on my fields .I re fertilize every three years and only aplie 3inches thick to the area I'm going to plant in . Why I like dairy manure is because of it's ability to lower the ph of the soil . It contains calcium witch is lime . It is not to hot , replenish the soil with every thing you need and you lower the ph to . A win win and it is natural product . My soil test came out really good after applying dairy manure . Go to this link to see planting instructions . http://vimeo.com/4344374

We will begin planting are South Water Front field Down town Portland this coming week . Feel free to stop by to see how we plant . We will not have much time to talk but you are free to watch ."

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

What a nice random email to get,E. The old ways are often the good ways. Now to get a cow...

Anne, I wonder how much light your sprouts are getting. I just found a neglected potted couple of dahlias sitting in a darkish corner and the 8-10" sprouts were craning up and over trying to get to the window. They are also very pale green/whitish green compared to other shoots. They're heading to the greenhouse. More light might green yours up too. Just a thought, but I've seen it before.

Portland, OR

Thanks, Poochella, my dahlias are all in full sun where they are all year ( I"m too lazy to dig them up every year) so are getting plenty of light..... and they aren't leaning at all..... but thanks for your reply. I"ve been wanting to try putting some in pots since I'm running out of room and can't seem able to quit buying more. I know you are a dahlia expert, so I'm going to give it a try. What's the largest variety you are potting? In what size pots?

anne

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Full sun hmmm; light is not the culprit. I used chelated iron solution a couple years back on some pale, yellowing dahlias and that greened them up nicely in no time. Do a search on chelated iron solution and consider checking the pH of your soil. You might have a problem with a humongous clump vying for nutrients underground as well. Dividing periodically might help there.

I've grown 3 and 4 foot dahlias in pots approx. 14" across and 12" deep, no problem. Being able to support them against wind is important. Use a stake or nearby banister, if handy. ( I had mine mostly on two decks.) If the pot is deep enough, you can get away without using the crosswires mentioned in Barbara Jenke's article at dahlia.org. Use the soil polymers down where the roots will grow and/or water vigilantly in hot weather. They did really well; blooms, tubers and all. I sprinkled some veggie Osmocote to start and watered with half strength Miracle Gro a couple times and that worked fine.

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Anne - you don't dig your dahlias every year and they stay in the ground, right? So could it be that's the problem?
Maybe you need to thin them out or divide the tubers. They produce massive tuber clumps underground that causes weaker sprouts and weaker stalks that will produce smaller flowers as well.
If you can get away without digging your tubers after season's end, you still really have to dig and divide those tubers in spring. At least you don't have to deal with the hassle of storing your tubers during the winter like most of us do.

Seems Pooch and Tex are hot on the trail - if the tubers aren't dug and separated it's a slow death for the dahlia. It's, sadly, one of those live and learn experiences that I've also had.

Portland, OR

Well, that sure makes sense. Thanks, everyone. * sigh* With over 60 dahlias, the thought of doing that every years is overwhelming. But you are absolutely right. I did dig a few up this year to give some to friends, and even the one year old tuber had grown to a huge clump.

Maybe I can have a dahlia digging party and offer free tubers to those who help. It would just kill me to throw them away, but I guess that is necessary sometimes.

anne

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Or.... you can offer them for free here like what Tod is doing and let people pay for postage.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.