Voles! Can YouTube help?

Edinboro, PA(Zone 5b)

I've had a terrible time with voles here in NW PA. All the tulips, nearly all the lilies, Siberian Iris, gone. A young Apple girdled. Potatoes gnawed. I won't poison because lots of critters eat them here. YouTube has some excellent how-to videos on how to use mousetraps. I tried the "bait w/peanut butter and poke plastic traps down hole" technique with some success. Am now cutting the narrow side from short sections of rain gutter. Placed over the opening of a tunnel, unbaited traps facing both directions. Mousetraps [classic Victors] drilled so they can be spiked to the sod with a large nail so they don't waste kinetic energy flipping. I hope they work.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Good luck!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Grub X will help, Milky Spore is the green way but takes a while to get going. I've also had sucess with the electronic devices Go-pher It, and Mole Chaser, but have heard mixed reviews on them, and have been told soil conditions (like heavy clay) can cause them to be more, or less effective. The main point is eliminating the food (grubs), and they look for less green pastures. Ric

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

You need one of these to get rid of the voles. No chemicals needed!

Thumbnail by AYankeeCat
Essex Junction, VT(Zone 4a)

My cat doesn't seem to be too interested in the vole holes. I keep sticking her nose to them, and she just moves on. Of course she's out on a leash so maybe they have to hang out and get interested when they see the voles poke their nose/head out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.