More of my JMs this Spring

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

I have some newish photos for you:

First, a new acquisition from Davidsan's JM's, a replacement for my A. Palmatum 'Tiny Tim'...which I lost last year...and it's next to my new A. Shirasawanum Aureum (Golden Fullmoon). Yes...'Tiny Tim' isn't so tiny! I'm still amazed at how Dave managed to ship a maple this large...but he did and I am very happy.

Thumbnail by largosmom

Here is one of 'Tiny Tim' by itself (himself?)

Thumbnail by largosmom

Five JMs, one gorgeous little dogwood, and one monster Hosta!

Left to right:
A.p. Tiny Tim (from Davidsan's JMs)
A.s. Aureum (behind! local purchase)
A.p. 'Peaches and Cream' (in front!--local purchase)
A.p. 'Japanese Sunrise' (local purchase)
Hosta 'Sagae' (local purchase)
Dogwood 'Wolf Eyes' (from Davesnursery in NJ)
A.p. 'Oregon Sunset' (local purchase)

Thumbnail by largosmom

Foliage on 'Peaches and Cream'

Thumbnail by largosmom

Japanese Maples NEED Hostas...honest they do!

Thumbnail by largosmom

I know this is a forum for JMs...but some dogwood foliage won't hurt!

Thumbnail by largosmom

Oregon Sunset on Hosta Plantaginea--Red JMs with light green foliage--hubba hubba!

Thumbnail by largosmom

Some JMs and Hostas waiting for a new planting bed in front of the deck...JM 'Tsuma Gaki' reaching in from the right.

I'm planning to use 'Tsuma Gaki' and 'Peaches and Cream' as well as the little dogwood in my new "Memory Garden" in front of the deck.

Thumbnail by largosmom

An overhead shot of JM 'Koto No Ito'...makes it look shorter than it really is!

Thumbnail by largosmom

A little bit of JM 'Baby Lace' foliage on Hosta 'June'...a favorite on both sides.

Thumbnail by largosmom

It is REALLY hard to photograph this maple! I'll try again...'Baby Lace' is three years in my garden now. I've moved it from the front to the back yard where it will get more attention and water.

Thumbnail by largosmom
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Lovely trees Laura! THe one from dAvidsans is really beautiful isn't it? I envy you your tsuma gaki. I don't have enough shade to put it in and it is supposed to need afternoon shade.

My Tsuma Gaki suffered from the heat/neglect last year when I wasn't feeling well...it's very sparse, but hopefully more TLC this year will help it recover. It was really a gorgeous tree when I first got it...it will need a few years to fill in now, I think, poor thing. If it needs afternoon shade, it may move to the other side of the bed...and Peaches and Cream will go to the right when viewed from below. They will both get some midday sun but large oaks and our house shade the late afternoon. Hopefully that will work out. It may be better as the season moves..and the sun does too. I am trying to decide if I should go ahead and plant them or just dig the pots in for summer incase I want to swap them...then plant in the fall. Decisions, decisions!

'Tiny Tim' seemed to get a bit of tip damage from the weather, or perhaps enroute, but is not wasting any time in filling in. I pruned off any dead branch tips, and it seems to like it here, it may stay out near the deck where I can enjoy it, even if it isn't in the bed itself.

Laura

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

laura very nice photo's of your trees and hosta's will have to think about adding more to the jm sites so far it has been conifers - and i have about 70 varities of hosta too here.

Thanks, WHA. I love the two together. I don't have many conifers. Only one little one, actually! I guess there are always some plants that each person doesn't "get.". For me, conifers fit that category. I enjoy them, but don't really feel the need for any in my landscape.

I was just checking my Tsuma Gaki this evening and it seems to be a bit scorched on some of the leaf tips. I am going to swap it with the Peaches and Cream...do you think that will be able to take a bit more sun than Tsuma Gaki? Both will get between 4-5 hours of sun daily. The shade seems to be moving over for the summer, but the sun moves up overhead at mid-day and that is when they get the most sunshine. I will be monitoring again this weekend to see, but am trying to decide between the two which will go on which side of the bed.

Laura

Milford, DE

I have a feeling that peaches will not look to peachy in the time frame/location that you describe. Peaches burns very easily too. I have to keep mine out of the mid day sun.

Dave

Hmmm. May need to either rethink the layout and/or what I plant in that bed. I am good for just the dogwood and one other JM, but I like things generally in odd numbers.

We are still on spring shade patterns. I am taking pictures of the sun/shade patterns during the day so that I can better gauge how much they will really get. Will post some this evening.

I may just pot the two trees into larger pots and trial them in the bed for the spring and summer so that I can change them out for a different tree if I need to.

I had originally wanted to put something else there that would shade the deck when it got bigger, in addition to shading the bed. Hubby did not want another tree that close due to leaves in the fall. (I think this is silly since there are any number of huge trees around that will drop tons more leaves than the JMs will. Just realized though that I need to imagine how much sun they will get at 10-15ft tall, though!

We should have the bed framed out this weekend. I rented a bobcat for next weekend to move the crush and run gravel and get some pathways leveled, in addition to general leveling in the yard. Hubby is visually impaired and it will help him to get some paths flatter. Dang vole holes make things lumpy in many places.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

It's tricky with those sensitive JM's. There a lot though that would get big enough to provide shade and still be happy in the sun. Maple Tsukushi gata, Sherwood Flame and Suminagashi are all happy in the sun here and I'm sure that there are a lot more. Of course if your hubby is worried about leaves there's not too much to do about it. If you are worried about sun perhaps you might want to put one of the two you have in a different place and pick something that is happy in the sun and stays smaller like dwarf Aratama. There are so many that do well in full sun you have a lot to choose from. I also have Villa Taranto and Germaine's Gyration in full sun and they do very well also. Then you could still have your trio of trees.

Hope that all of your paths look great after the gravel delivery. Sounds like a lot of gravel to shovel!

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Acer palmatum 'Ryusen'

Super beautiful this spring.....

Thumbnail by dybbuk
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

very nice dybbuk

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.